- Tuesday 6.20pm, speed session with Rowan and Andy – 3 sets of 5 x 300m, check details on Facebook, Newtown Park.
- Saturday 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday and Sunday, Athletics Wellington Senior Track & Field Championships, Newtown Park.
- Sunday 8:30am, Honest Ten, outside Freyberg Pool
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details.
Liz Bentley broke Peggy Fletcher’s longstanding W60 Wellington 800m record by nearly 5 seconds, with a time of 2:54.67. James Hercus ran in the men’s 1500m in 4:07.80 and Ben Brunner 4:10.78. Dion Gamperle and Denis McCarthy had a battle in the same race, with times of 4:46.93 and 4:49.40 respectively. Ayesha Shafi ran 5:23.90 in the women’s 1500m. Sean Lake recorded 18:31.45 in the 3000m walk.
The Athletics Wellington and Athletics NZ calendars of events for the new season both start in April. Many earlier private events have been cancelled but we hope that club events such as the McVilly Shield Relay Scottish Mountain Champs and Centennial Cup can take place in upcoming weeks. We hope to have the club calendar finalised in the next fortnight. Also, if people have suggestions for events, there is still time to suggest things. Contact Iain if you have thoughts
Athletics Wellington Senior Track & Field Championships, 12-13 February
The annual championships will be held on Saturday and Sunday 12 and 13 February at Newtown Park. Events will be for seniors, under 20, under 18 and under 16 and masters athletes. Events include the steeplechase, 3000m walk, 1500m and 5000m.
Twilight Meet, 23 February
The next twilight meeting for the season will be on Wednesday 23 February and will include the Wellington Centre 3000m championships at 6.30pm. It will also include 100m, 200m and 800m races. This event will be pre-entry only – entry forms will be available shortly on the Athletics Wellington website. If you are able to help please contact Andy Ford.
Hutt Valley 5km and 10km Fun Run and Walk, 6 March
The Hutt Valley Harriers organises this run along the banks of the Hutt River. There are 5km and 10km run and walk events and a kids 1km event for children under 10. This event is a family-friendly fun run and walk for people of all ages and abilities and the course is suitable for baby strollers.
New Zealand Masters Track & Field Champs, 11-13 March
Has been cancelled.