- Tuesday 6.20pm, speed session with Rowan and Andy. Check details on Facebook, Newtown Park.
- Saturday 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 2.00pm, Summer pack runs and walks. Otari-Wilton’s Bush carpark off Churchill Drive (ie the bottom carpark). The current plan is a 90 minute walking route along the Kaiwharawhara stream, up past the northern end of the Karori cemetery, into the bush again and up to the skyline, then around to the top of the Red trail, then back down to the car park. Optional refreshments afterwards at the Khandallah Trading Company.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details.
Wellington Track and Field Championships, Day 1
Day 2 of the Wellington Track and Field Championships was postponed due to inclement weather. Luckily Day 1 went ahead in wet but not as windy conditions.
- 400m: Torben Fear 55.20, Peter Stevens 1:00.02 (1st M50), Danielle Stevens 1:11.07 (1st SW), Alice Sowry 1:16.29 (2nd SW)
- 1500m: Hiro Tanimoto 4:27.67 (3rd M35), Andy Ford 4:34.98, Peter Stevens 4:38.03 (1st M50), Andrew Kerr, 4:52.25, Susan O’Brien 5:45.17 (1st W35)
- 60m: Hiro Tanimoto 9.04 (3rd M35), Ian Morton 11.84 (2nd M60)
- 3000m steeplechase: Stephen Day 11:40.37 (1st M35)
- 100m: Danielle Stevens 14.80 (2nd SW), Alice Sowry 16.59 (3rd SW)
- High jump: Ian Morton 1.00m (2nd M60)
- Hammer throw: Ian Morton 12.04m (1st M60)
- Javelin: Ian Morton 11.56m (2nd M60)
- Weight throw: Ian Morton 4.67m (1st M60)
Postponed — also due to the storm.
The Athletics Wellington and Athletics NZ calendars of events for the new season both start in April. Many earlier private events have been cancelled but we hope that club events such as the McVilly Shield Relay Scottish Mountain Champs and Centennial Cup can take place in upcoming weeks. We hope to have the club calendar finalised in the next fortnight. Also, if people have suggestions for events, there is still time to suggest things. Contact Iain if you have thoughts
Twilight Meet, 23 February
The next mid-week Twilight track meeting is on Wednesday 23 February at Newtown Park track. It includes the Wellington Centre 3000m Championships. Perfect weather conditions guaranteed 🙂
The race schedule is below:
- 6.15 – 100m
- 6.30 – 3000m – Centre Championships
- 7:00 – 200m
- 7.15 – 800m
There will be no entries on the day — we are requesting that anyone wanting to compete should make sure they have filled in the season registration form (if you have already registered you do not need to do so again).
In addition, those wanting to compete in the Centre 3000m Championships also have to enter online via the link below, at a cost of $6, with entries closing at 11.59am (midday) Tuesday 22 February
Andy Ford is also looking for a starter for the 3000m races. If you can help please contact him. All training is provided and you get to fire a gun.
Club AGM, 2 March
The Club’s AGM is on 2 March at 7pm at the cricket clubrooms in Anderson Park (Botanic Gardens). Come along and partake of refreshments while we report on the year that was and elect our management committee for the upcoming season. We always need to keep our ideas fresh and seek diverse perspectives so we’re keen to welcome new members to the MC.
Also, Michael has been our 28th President for five years — more or less the maximum recommended term — so the time is right for him to hand over the baton. Who should be number 29?
Hutt Valley 5km and 10km Fun Run and Walk, 6 March
Has been cancelled.