Please remember to register for the annual prizegiving early, as it helps us plan the booking. Details below.
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, Newtown Park. This week’s session is 400m and 200m reps.
- Saturday 2:15pm, Wellington 10000m Walk Championship and Open Track meet, Newtown Park
- Saturday 4:15pm, Agency Group 10000m Festival, Newtown Park
- Sunday 8:30am, Kāpiti Half Marathon, MacLean Park Paraparaumu Beach
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details.
Wairarapa Country marathon
Marathon: Mel Stevens won the Wellington Championship in 2:53:22. Ben Twyman was 2nd in 2:43:17, Geoff Ferry 2:45:21, Simon Keller 2:48:33, Dion Gamperle 2:58:54, Brad Wong 3:07:15, Denis McCarthy 3:09:05, David Oliver 3:09:31, Charlie Hulley 3:09:36, Anthea Oliver 3:42:56. It looks like there was a close race between Denis, David and Charlie.
Half Marathon: Grant McLean was 2nd in 1:21:07. Julian Mattthew 1:37:16, Christopher Johnson 2:03:18.
Ian Morton won the 10km walk in 1:10:50.
Lochmara Half Marathon
Early report Ali Campbell smashed women’s race in 1:40 possibly a course record too. Sophie Dickson 4th female with a spot prize, and Chris Howard got 4th in veterans men for spot prize too.
Ali Campbell 1:40:33, Sophie Dickson 1:50:36, Chris Howard 1:54:3, Emma Bassett 2:01:55, Malcolm Kerr 2:14:44, Isabel Bridgman 2:17:56, Lindsay Young 2:18:37, Emma Sturmfels 2:21:51, Kath Littler 2:33:55.
Newtown Park Track and Field Meet
- 3000m Walk: Helen Willis 22:38.74 edged in front of Bob Gardner 22:39.32, in a close race. Daphne Jones 23:08.13.
- 1500m: Hiro Tanimoto 4:10.27, beat James Hercus 4:12.84.
- 5000m: Big PBs to Alistair Richardson 15:58.37 (under 16!) and Paul Barwick 16:10.01. Also: Hiro Tanimoto 15:15.78, Kristian Day 15:37.59, Bert Prendergast 15:44.37, Malcolm Hodge 15:51.99, Stephen Day 16:39.20, Ruby Muir 17:01.88, and Andrew Kerr 17:37.88
Dougal Thorburn came 2nd in 03:41:40, 4 seconds behind the winner.
The Agency Group 10000m, 13 November
We have published draft start lists below. We have a record 134 runners and 12 walkers competing. (The last NZ Championship event had 15 entries). There will be food, drink and some amazing races from our club members as they try to run great times, so please turn up to support this event.
We need lap counters and helpers on the day. If you can help please contact Stephen.
Track and field season
Most track meets at Newtown Park are free to enter for Wellington Scottish members.
Central League Meetings
The remaining meetings this year are Sat 20 November in Palmerston North and Sat 4 December in Masterton.
Under COVID19 rules, there has been a change in the instructions for competing in these meetings. The organisers now need a list for each meeting which only includes those names of athletes who intend to compete in that meeting, so all previous lists are cancelled. For each meeting, if you wish to be able to compete, you need to advise Michael Wray by the Tuesday before that meeting, so that he can include your name on our list. If you turn up without advising us, you will not be able to compete. You need to do this for each meeting, the list does not carry over from the previous meeting. Scottish will cover the $5 charge per athlete for each meeting, so all you need to do on arrival is find Don Dalgliesh and get your competition number.
Annual Prizegiving, 20 November
From 6:00pm at the Function Room, Newtown Park Stadium.
Please join us for a fun evening where we will celebrate running and race-walking, and the achievements and contributions of our members this year. The cost is $35 per adult and $15 per child. Please pay the club bank account 38-9005-0501833-00 with your name and ‘prizegiving’ in the reference. We will refund everyone if the event is cancelled due to COVID19. We need to advise final numbers for catering a week ahead, so please respond by Friday 12 November. For queries about arrangements, please contact Marshall Clark.
Welcome to new club member Kate Norquay.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.