- Tuesday 6.00 pm, speed session with Alice and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool.
- Thursday, 1:10 pm, World Athletics Championships 5000m heats (featuring Hamish Carson), Sky TV
- Friday 12.27 pm, Kupe Run, a chatty pre-weekend run from the Kupe statue on the waterfront.
- Saturday 8.00 am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Emma and Bert for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00 am warm-up for an 8.30 am start. All speeds and interests are welcome.
- Saturday 2.00 pm, our friendly club pack runs, leaving from our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park, Mt Cook.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30 am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains, Emma and Bert, for info, or check Facebook for details.
62km: Sam McCutcheon (5:11:59) broke his own course record and Mel Brandon (6:31:37) broke the course record too, to both win the WUU2K ultramarathon.
43km: Valentino Luna Hernandez 4:33:25, Rachael Cunningham 5:46:46, Floortje Kaars 5:52:52, Julian Matthew 6:37:17, Megan Ferry 8:54:31.
21km: Alistair Collow 2:54:30, Hannah Stephen 2:58:30.
Wellington Cross Country Championships
1km: Juliet Street 5:01.06, and a very close run between Georgie Street 8:48.0 and Abby Cleland 8:48.5
2km: Nathanael Milstead 7:29.5, Miller Buck 8:20.5, Ben Cleland 9:40.3, Sam Cleland 9:56.1
4km: Joe Martin was 2nd in 14:03.0
5km: Heather Walker was 2nd overall and 1st W50 in 20:00.3, Chris Harp 25:31.3 (2nd M65), John Skinnon 26:18.7, Paul Rodway 26:31.0, John Gardiner 26:54.0, Jonathon Harper 27:45.6, Ross Lake 28:22.7, Beverley Hodge 29:15.6 (3rd W60), Pam Graham 30:42.4 (1st W70), Ian Morton 31:01.7, Fiona Macmaster 33:52.1.
6km: Guy Lees 20:44.4 (3rd M18)
10km: Hiro Tanimoto 33:03.9 (2nd overall and 1st M35), Jack Shaw 33:20.7 (2nd SM), Stephen Day 35:02.8 (3rd M35), Ben Twyman 36:05.0, Rowan Hooper 36:16.8, Ben Bielski 36:21.7, Peter Stevens 37:07.3 (1st M50), Simon Keller 37:35.2, Jamie White 39:09.0, Todd Stevens 39:24.6, Jim Jones 39:35.2, David Kettles 39:50.6, Geoff Ferry 39:59.0, Gerard Gordon 40:55.7, Genevieve Coffey 41:08.1, Brad Wong 41:31.2, Mel Aitken 42:35.5 (1st W35), Andrew Kerr 42:41.9, Amanda Broughton 43:03.5 (2nd W35), Guy Dryden 43:04.4, Ayesha Shafi 43:08.0, Susan O’Brien 45:29.2, Malcolm Kerr 46:57.1, Ali Campbell 47:23.2, Lucy Fauth 47:31.1, Alistair Collow 48:08.6 (racing for the second time this weekend!), Alice Sowry 49:17.3, Danielle Stevens 50:19.3, Lulu Lloyd Jones 51:29.3.
- Hiro and Manami 10km
- Sharon 1km and 2km, 5km
- Rowan (to come)
Wellington selections for NZXC
Congratulations to Seamus Kane (SM), Jack Shaw (SM), Hannah Miller (SW), Ben Bruner (M18), Nick Horspool (M35), Stephen Day (M35), Mel Aitken (W35), Peter Stevens (M50), Phil Sadgrove (M50) and Heather Walker (W50) who have been selected for the Wellington Centre team at NZXC in Taupō.
NZ Cross Country Champs, 30 July, Taupō
We have 35 people going to Taupō so far. And we have a few spare beds and some seats in cars if you want to join us for this great road trip. The club is paying for race entry so, taking that into account, we are sharing $111 for accommodation and dinner or $211 for transport, accommodation and dinner.
Let us know if you would like to join us for rolling hills, geothermal scenery, hotpools and one of the best cross-country courses in NZ.
Needle Relay, Kilbirnie, 13 August
There are three distinct events, open to both registered and social members of clubs: the Walker’s Turkey Trot, the Children’s Needle Relay, and the Needle Relay. Let your section captain know if you want to be in a relay team.
Wellington Road Champs, Wainuiomata, 20 August
The Wellington Road Champs is the last of the four big interclub races for the year. It is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km or 10km time with a large pack of runners to pull you along. It is held in the scenic Wainuiomata Recreation Area. The course is an out-and-back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. The course is largely sheltered from the wind.
Details to come.
NZ Road Running Champs, Trentham 4 September
Entries for the NZ Road Champs, which we are hosting at Heretaunga on 4 September, are now open.
The entry fee for members of Athletics Wellington clubs is reduced to $20. When entering, members are asked to “Enter a Pin Code”. Here are the codes which members need to enter:
- U14 = $10 off pin code WGTC1
- U16,18, 20 = $20 off pin code WGTC2
- U23 = $25 off pin code WGTC3
- Seniors + Masters 35-64 = $35 off pin code WGTC4
- Masters 65+ = $20 off pin code WGTC5
The discounted entry fee is only available to members of AW clubs.
Running Strength and Injury Prevention classes — Term 3
No matter what your running ability, you will benefit from adding some running-specific strength work to your week.
Building stronger muscles will help build power and strength in your running stride as well as help with stabilization (think knees collapsing in or a tilt of the hips as you land). Over time these imbalances can lead to injuries — which is what you do not want as it stops you from running.
Sierra has 3 spots left in her 6pm Wed class at Club Kelburn Gym. The term is 10 weeks and only costs $125 for Scottish members. Terms start Wed 27 July.
Gerard Gordon ran a PB on the Eastbourne course the other weekend and he has been regularly attending these classes. Is that enough of an incentive for you to take the remaining 3 spots!?
Email Sierra at email@example.com with any questions or to confirm your spot.
Membership levies for 2022-2023
Join the Wellington running and walking club that caters for all abilities and levels. We have membership options to suit your goals. Whether you like to run on roads or prefer trail running we have something for all levels and abilities.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Emma and Bert, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot, and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.