A special welcome to our new club member Aiden Kelly.
- Tuesday 6.00 pm, speed session with Rowan and Andy, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is…
- Wednesday 1:30 pm, Karori College Cross Country Relays, Karori Park, Don Dalgliesh is looking for volunteers. See below for details.
- Friday 12.27 pm, Kupe Run, a chatty pre-weekend run from the Kupe statue on the waterfront.
- Saturday 12.00 noon, Chocolate Walk, Queen Elizabeth Park, Mackay’s Crossing, Paekakariki.
- Saturday 1:15 pm, Boys and Girls Races, Queen Elizabeth Park, Mackay’s Crossing, Paekakariki.
- Saturday 2.00 pm, University Relay, Queen Elizabeth Park, Mackay’s Crossing, Paekakariki (contact your captain if you want to be in a team).
- Sunday 7:30 am, New Zealand Senior Marathon Championships (featuring Nicholas Bagnall, Andrew Kerr, Hannah Miller, Bert Prendergast, Brad Wong.
- Sunday 7:30am, Three Peaks Event 2, Wellington Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. This event’s three peaks are the Southern suburbs – Mt Albert, Oku Street, Hawkins Hill. Details below.
Southern Lakes Half Marathon and 10km
A big turnout in Wanaka, with Mel Aitken 01:18:11 (2nd overall and PB), Kasey MacKinnon 01:33:47, Jasmine Smith 01:42:19 (PB), Lucy Fauth 01:42:19 in the half. Sarah Grace Breen 42:26 and Emma Sturmfels 49:42 in the 10km.
Saint Clair Vineyard Half Marathon, Blenheim
Marketa Longova 2:17:56
Xterra Starlight Makara
University Relay and Chocolate Walk, 14 May
The Victoria University Athletic Club invites us to the Victoria University Relay events being held at Queen Elizabeth II Park, Paekakariki, on Saturday 14 May. 10 grades with 4 runners per team, compete over a sandy farmland 3.5 km lap. All grades start together. Walkers compete in the Chocolate Walk earlier in the day over a 6km walk on nearby roads. And juniors under 16 have a series of cross country scratch races.
Contact your section captain to let them know you want to be in a team.
Wellington Scottish 3 Peaks Event 2, 15 May
The 3 peaks for the second event of 2022 are Mt Albert, Oku St Reserve and Hawkins Hill. Tackle the peaks in any order, by any route. Do as many peaks as you want. Distance varies, but around 22km (example route). Start and finish are at the Wellington Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Register from 7.30 am, and start at any time between 8 and 8.30 am. Walkers start from 7.30 to 8 am. Run alone, or in a group. There will be groups to join on the day. Entry fee: Please donate to Wellington City Mission. We recommend $10 as a donation.
Vosseler Shield, 28 May
This is NZ’s toughest and hilliest cross country race. This year there is a new course — but don’t worry, most of your favourite climbs are still there.
Dorne Cup, 11 June
The Dorne Cup is a mostly flat grassy inter-club cross country race run at Trentham Memorial Park. There are a couple of stopbanks, small jumps and stream crossings on each lap.
Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km, 18 June
It’s finally happening (touch wood)! Participants from the COVID-cancelled 2020 and 2021 events will be transferred to 2022 automatically. This year the Half marathon race is also the Athletics Wellington Half Marathon Championship.
Peter Tearle bequest
The club has received a generous bequest of $83,000 from the estate of former life member Peter Tearle. We have set up a working group to plan how to use this bequest. We are keen to hear from club members about their suggestions and invite you to answer three questions in a survey form. Please respond by Saturday 14 May.
From Heather: If you picked up a singlet at a recent event please remember to put through payment – and a big thanks to those who have paid.
Payment information: 38-9005-0501833-00, and put ‘uniform’ and your name in the details, please. Adults (both styles) $50, Children $30.
Please note, I won’t be at University relays — so if you need a singlet or know someone in your team needs one, please get in touch in advance (and before the Friday night — I will be out of town).
firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 583 716 (Heather)
If you’d like other Scottish gear I also have in my box of odds and ends some Scottish –
- Centennial polo shirts (unisex – $36), and centennial men’s and women’s t-shirts ($31) (both black – see pictures)
- women’s t-shirts (similar to the old-style singlets – but with sleeves – see picture, $40)
- women’s crop tops (handed out at Karori park – McVilly Shield) – mainly size 8 left (also an option for kids) – these are going free to a good home
- tracksuit tops – mainly the heavier weight (fleece-lined) option, small and medium without hood . . . but a couple with hoods and a couple of lighter weight tops (see uniform shop website for pictures and prices – $110 or $145). If there is enough interest for sizes I don’t have, I can put in a new order.
Let me know if there is other gear you’re interested in – and we can follow up.
Volunteer for WUU2K, 15-17 July
WUU2K weekend is fast approaching, and they are once again in need of many generous volunteers who can help make this an amazing experience. Can you help out?
- registration helpers and course markers on Fri 15 July
- startline helpers, marshals, aid station helpers, TECs, and finish line helpers on Sat 16 July (with a backup rain day this year, on Sun 16 July)
If you’re free and keen (don’t be put off by last year’s weather bomb!) they’d love to hear from you – please share your details and availability at the form here: https://forms.gle/RteP2SihZLjRzjYv5
All volunteers are offered discounted merchandise, discounted WUU/WAI race entries, and are welcome to come along for some drinks at the Volunteers Party (usually the first Sunday after race weekend at Waitoa Social Club on Victoria St).
Karori College Cross Country Relays
These will be held at Karori Park on Wednesday 11 May starting at 1.30pm and finishing around 2.30pm. If anyone is available to help with the running of this event, please let Don Dalgliesh know. He needs help with setting up the course, marshalling the actual race, and taking down the course after the event.
Clubhouse working group
The management committee has appointed a working group to explore options for future use of the clubhouse. The working group will look at the costs and benefits of the present clubhouse arrangement and various alternatives. The group is made up of Simon Keller (email@example.com), Lucy Fauth (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Andy Ford (email@example.com). The process is likely to take several months. At some point, the working group will make a call for submissions from club members. In the meantime, you are welcome to contact any of the working group members by email if you have comments or suggestions.
Membership levies for 2022-2023
Join the Wellington running and walking club that caters for all abilities and levels. We have membership options to suit your goals. Whether you like to run on roads or prefer trail running we have something for all levels and abilities.
- 2022-23 Standard Member 20 Years and Over — $185.00
- 2022-23 Standard Member 7 to 19 Years — $85.00
- 2022-23 Standard Member 6 Years and Under — $42.50
- 2022-23 Social Member 15 Years and Over — $110.00
- 2022-23 Volunteer — $50.00
- 2022-23 Second Club — Social Member — $70.00
- Send us an email for discounts for unwaged and students.
Our standard membership gives runners and walkers the following benefits for a full year:
- Personalised coaching advice for runners of all abilities from one of Wellington Scottish’s qualified and experienced coaches. Our coaches can help you get started in setting a goal and achieving the goal.
- Free entry into the Wellington region’s most iconic interclub running events.
- Friendly club members who will train together with you at your own pace, showing you some of Wellington’s best running routes.
- A guaranteed place in one of the friendly Scottish teams at relay events throughout the year, both in Wellington and for our iconic road relay trip to Akaroa.
- Group speed and technique sessions on the waterfront, at Karori Park and Newtown Athletics Track.
- Free entry to our club races, which are organised during the season, for you to try out competitive running within a friendly, club environment.
- Regular news bulletins with advice, upcoming events and connecting you to local events and other runners.
- Access to our Facebook private discussion group, which connects you to all our club members.
- Membership of Athletics New Zealand.
- Access to Supporters Trust and funding to compete at events if you are an elite athlete.
- Access to our clubrooms. Our recently refurbished clubrooms are conveniently at Prince of Wales Park, Mt Cook, with access to off-road parking.
Join us for a Taupō Road Trip
Please fill out this registration form to let us know if you would like to join us in Taupō for the NZ Cross Country Champs. The cross country championships bring together the best distance runners in NZ — but they are also a great opportunity for a club weekend away with runners or all speeds and ambitions. Spa Park, with its rolling hills, geothermal scenery, hotpools and fast-draining volcanic soil, is one of the best cross country courses in NZ. And Taupō is a great venue for a club weekend away.