- Tuesday 6.20 pm, speed session with Rowan and Andy, Newtown Park. This week’s session is 10 x 500m.
- Friday 12.27pm, Kupe Run, from the Kupe statue on the waterfront
- Saturday 8.00 am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Emma and Bert for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00 am warm-up for an 8.30 am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 2.00pm, Last Chance Track and Field Meet, Newtown Park – includes a 1500m and a 800m medley relay.
- Sunday 7.00am, Barefoot Triathlon, Scorching Bay
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30 am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Emma and Bert for info, or check Facebook for details.
Athletics NZ National Track and Field Championships
From Athletics NZ: “James Preston produced a flawless demonstration of two-lap running to destroy the 800m field and comfortably retain his national senior men’s 800m title in a swift 1:47.00. The Wellington-based athlete has been in great nick this season and served further notice of this by registering the second-fastest time of his career en route to a decisive win.”
Also, Ayesha Shafi ran 19:26.51, solo, for 6th in the 5000m.
Welcome to the captains
Welcome to our two new captains. Emma Sturmfels — women’s captain, and Bert Prendergast — men’s captain. If you have any questions about what is happening, how to get involved, how to join the club, who you can run or walk with, or when and where events are, these two are your first point of contact.
They are supported by a team of lieutenants: Hinano Andrews (women 35-49), Tricia Sloan (women 50+), Andrew Wharton (men 35-49), James Turner (men 50-59), Paul Rodway (men 60+),
A new management team
The club AGM elected a new committee to manage the club last week. If you have any ideas for the club, concerns about how things are going, or energy to contribute to help make something happen contact one of these people:
- Patron — Alan Stevens
- President — Michael Wray
- Treasurer — Marshall Clark
- Management Committee — Malcolm Kerr, Scott Ryland, Glen Wallis, Hayden Smith, Lindsay Young,
Lucy Fauth, Alice Sowry, Ben Bielski
- 5km series coordinator — Sharon Wray
- Event Manager — Andy Ford
- Programme Manager — Iain Shaw
- Projects Manager — Simon Keller
- J Team — Sharon Wray and Michael Wray
You can read the president’s annual report to the AGM and the minutes of the AGM on our website.
Membership levies for 2022-2023
Athletics Wellington and Athletics NZ have set their fees at the same as 2021/22. Therefore, the management committee will set our club subscriptions at the same level too. But as we missed the membership drive we normally do at Round The Bays it has decided to offer a special subscription open until the end of April:
- Seniors – $150
- Under 20 – $70
- Under 7 – $30
The online join portal is not up-and-running yet, but you can pay at 38-9005-0501833-00 with your name and “mship” in the reference.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Emma and Bert, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot, and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.