- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, Newtown Park. This week’s session is 200m reps, which get faster.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 10:30pm, Central League Meet, Inglewood, $5 entry. Contact Don Dalgliesh by Wednesday if you intend to compete.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details.
Track and Field Meet
Some impressive early-season personal bests to Harry McLean and Paul Barwick were among the highlights at Newtown Park on Saturday.
- 3000m run: Hiro Tanimoto 8:54.04, James Hercus 9:07.72, AlistairRichardson 9:18.11, Paul Barwick 9:21.60, Alasdair Saunders 9:43.31, Guy Lees 9:50.91, Simon Keller 9:58.28, Andrew Kerr 9:58.71.
- 3000m walk: Sean Lake 17:51.96, Ian Morton 20:15.04, Bob Gardener 22:18.67, Helen Willis 22:21.29, Daphne Jones 23:58.14
- 800m: Harry McLean 2:05.32, Hiro Tanimoto 2:06.14, Oliver McLean 2:13.84
Track and field season
Most track meets at Newtown Park are free to enter for Wellington Scottish members.
Central League Meetings
Meetings this year are Sat 30 October in Inglewood, Sat 20 November in Palmerston North and Sat 4 December in Masterton.
In order to compete in these meetings, we need to advise the organiser of a list of our athletes who might want to compete in any one of the three meetings. If your name was on our list last year, then you don’t need to do anything unless you will not be competing this year and want us to take your name off the list. If you want to have your name added to our list, you need to let Don Dalgliesh know by the Tuesday before that meeting, as names can’t be added on the day of the meeting.
An athlete can do any event(s) they wish to. There is a fee of $5 for each meeting that you compete in, which is paid to Don when you collect your number from him. The programme is a standard one, the same for each meeting, and covers all events except 10000m.
Wairarapa Country Marathon, 7 November
Includes a half marathon, 10km and 5km race for runners and walkers. The marathon is this year’s Wellington Marathon Championship race and Half Marathon Championship.
The Agency Group 10000m, 13 November
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last three years, the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
This year it will also be the National Championship, the Wellington Championship, and the NZ Masters Championship. We’ll be back with race packs to help runners of all speeds to new personal bests.
Please contact Stephen if you can help with organising on the day, officiating or lap counting.
Annual Prizegiving, 20 November
From 6:00pm at the Function Room, Newtown Park Stadium.
Please join us for a fun evening where we will celebrate running and race-walking, and the achievements and contributions of our members this year. The cost is $35 per adult and $15 per child. Please pay the club bank account 38-9005-0501833-00 with your name and ‘prizegiving’ in the reference. We will refund everyone if the event is cancelled due to COVID-19. We need to advise final numbers for catering a week ahead, so please respond by Friday 12 November. For queries about arrangements, please contact Marshall Clark.
Welcome to new club members Floor Kaars Sijpesteijn and Simon Reynolds.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.