Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf. Come and run, volunteer or support.
- Saturday 6.00am, Kepler Challenge and Luxmore Grunt, Te Anau.
- Saturday, 7.00am, Tip Track Marathon and Te Kopahou Thousand, The Tip Track, Happy Valley Road.
- Saturday 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 1.30pm, mini meet sprints, Newtown Park.
- Saturday 2.45pm, Wellington 10000m Race Walk Championship, Newtown Park.
- Saturday 4.45pm, The Agency Group 10000m Festival, Newtown Park.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday 7.30am onwards, Crazyman Multisport events, Days Bay or Sladden Park.
- Sunday 10.00am, Junior Interclub, Colin Pugh Sports Bowl, Masterton.
Waterfront PBs to Liam Jones, Andrew Kerr, Mike Cousins, Karl Jackson, Nicolas Vessiot, Adrian Marquet, Luke Ferguson, Willie Stephens, Kasey MacKinnon, Lucy Fauth, Jasmine Smith, Megan Ferry.
Twilight Track Meet No 2
Full results below but I’ll highlight here Neil Lynch sweeping under 5 mins for 1500m and the nearly triumphant return to the track of Rowan Hooper, spoilt in the last strides by a 14 year old upstart.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy
Full results below. At the prizegiving, Lindsay Young tried to deny she had won the Shirley Barton Trophy, but it’s not a fake result: she is the new trophy holder, beating Ruby Muir by 2 minutes. Nico Vessiot won the Ballantyne Cup by a large margin. That plus his Waterfront PB this week means that his TAB odds for the Agency Group 10000m have shortened severely.
Regional League Meet, Masterton.
Michele Allison broke the NZ W65 steeplechase record and Peter Stevens broke his own Wellington M55 1500m record. Over the three-meet series Scottish finished in 10th place – we snuck past Feilding Moa and held off Olympic at the last meet.
3000m Race Walk: Sean Lake 17:12.83, Daphne Jones 21:26.43. 3000m: Malcolm Hodge 8:45.67, Ben Brunner 10:05.44, Gus Tulloch 10:05.44, Nicole Mitchell 10:45.11. 5000m Alastair Richardson 16:13.82. 2000m Steeplechase: Michele Allison 9:18.61, Findlay Hagen 7:01.78. 400m: Amy Walker 59.25. 1500m: Maeve O’Regan-Smith 5:11.58, Ayesha Shafi 5:16.89, Michele Allison 6:15.85, Jamie Barnes 4:03.56, Hiro Tanimoto 4:12.05, Luke Grover 4:24.16, Peter Stevens 4:27.71, James Hercus 4:31.16. 800m: Joshua Hagen 2:06.41, Hiro Tanimoto 2:11.94, Dale Arbuckle 2:17.63, Torben Fear 2:21.71, Michael Wray 2:23.40
Mt Maunganui Half Marathon
Marketa Langova 1:53:41.
Junior Interclub No 3
The junior interclub at Newtown Park was cancelled due to the heavy rain.
Lifestyle Sport Night of Miles, 19 Dec
The Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile.
Each year we collect donations ($5 suggested) from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity. 2020’s charity is the Wellington Free Ambulance.
The programme consists of a mix of children’s, senior elite and fun social events. There are several different mile races including elite men’s and women’s races and an all-comers mile that anyone can participate in (including Father Christmas).
The Agency Group 10000 Festival, 5 Dec
Can Michele Allison break her 3rd NZ record in a month? Can Otago athlete Oli Chignell run the fastest time ever at Newtown Park? Can Grant McLean turn his golden form into a golden time? Can Mel Stevens outrun all the other women in the field to claim victory? Can Ian Morton and Terri Grimmett double from their race walk earlier in the afternoon to run under 1 hour?
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges. Free for Scottish members. Each meet includes two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
If your athlete wants to take part in the Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the series.
Athlete entries must be completed by 11:59pm on the Wednesday prior to an Interclub meet. The Scottish club administrator is Michael Wray. He can help with password re-sets or queries or even put through the entry for anyone who finds the entry system difficult.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Welcome (back) to the club, Brendon Thompson.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here