- All week, Virtual Tanadees and Arkwright 2021, run or walk on the waterfront Fergs to Balaena Bay and back between 19 September and 9 October. More details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs. Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a booking at the Hop Garden for those who want.
- Sunday, sadly, the Wellington Marathon is cancelled. More details. (Maybe run the Tanadees/Arkwright instead?)
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday is probably the last day to order your throwback sweatshirt or hoodie. See below for details.
Wellington Race Walking Championships
Wellington race walkers had a very successful day at Te Marua. Quentin Rew set new NZ and Wellington M35 masters records. Jackie Wilson set new NZ and Wellington masters W75 records, just 8 seconds shy of the world masters record. Among Scottish athletes, Helen Willis completed 5km in 38:34.4 and John Hines in 43:44.5. In the 10km, Sean Lake finished in 1:05:43.3, Ian Morton 1:10:15.4 and Ray Marten 1:21:09.5.
Virtual Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup
Tanadees/Arkwright 2021 is a virtual event, run on the waterfront (7.5km from Fergs to Balaena Bay and back) between 19 September and 9 October.
The 2021 virtual course follows the old Powerade Challenge course (2012-2018 version), so hopefully, it’s straightforward (but without free Powerade). Start at the “0” km marker at Fergs Kayaks, run to the public toilets at Balaena Bay, then run back to Fergs.
Stay tuned for regular updates (although the handicaps will be secret until the event is over!) Remember to share your time on Facebook (especially if you do the course in reverse). Tuesday night might be a good time to give it a go seeing as there will be no Tuesday session or Waterfront 5K this week.
Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy and Baudinet Cup, 16 October
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. It is a 9.1km course with a little bit of road, a little bit of cross country and beach, and a little bit of a hill.
Track and field season, from 16 October
The Athletics Wellington and Field Season 2021-2022 opens on 16 October. Most track meets are free to enter for Wellington Scottish members. The opening day on 16 October includes a 1000m race, a 3000m race and some 100m relays.
- 16 October Newtown Park timetable opening day and details
- Please Pre Register to receive your season competition number
- Full Athletics Wellington calendar
Wairarapa Country Marathon, 7 November
Includes a half marathon, 10km and 5km race for runners and walkers. The marathon is this year’s Wellington Marathon Championship race.
The Agency Group 10000m, 13 November
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last three years, the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
This year it will also be the National Championship, the Wellington Championship, and the NZ Masters Championship. We’ll be back with race packs to help runners of all speeds to new personal bests.
Throwback hoodies and sweatshirts
Jasmine Smith, responding to popular demand, has designed a Scottish throwback sweatshirt and hoodie. You can order one (or more) at the Scottish online shop this week – and we hope they will be ready to collect in time for the Agency Group 10000m. Each hoodie or sweatshirt is $44. Great Christmas gifts for the whole whanau.
Annual Prizegiving, 20 November
From 6:00pm at the Function Room, Newtown Park Stadium.
Please join us for a fun evening where we will celebrate running and race-walking, and the achievements and contributions of our members this year. The cost is $35 per adult and $15 per child. You don’t need to pay immediately – we will invoice you. We need to advise final numbers for catering a week ahead, so please respond by Friday 12 November. For queries about arrangements, please contact Marshall Clark.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.