- All week, Virtual Tanadees and Arkwright 2021, run or walk on the waterfront Fergs to Balaena Bay and back between 19 September and 9 October. More details.
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Last Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 2km at half marathon pace, 2 x 1km at 10km pace, 2 x 500m at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 9.30am, Wellington Race Walking Championships, Te Marua, Upper Hutt.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs. Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a booking at the Hop Garden for those who want.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Wainuiomata Road Champs
James Turner has published the handicap results from the Wellington Road Champs the weekend before last. He notes:
“Christine Jones was the best performer against handicap in the 5k race, with a time1.16 quicker than forecast, with Kasey MacKinnon, Loretta Desourdy and Ian Morton also going better than forecast. While in the 10k, an incredible 24 people beat their handicap time, led by Lindsay Young who was an awesome 2.02 better than forecast. Lindsay was followed by three other wahine: Anthea Oliver (1.27), Sophie Whelan (1.16), and Lucy Fauth (1.06).”
Alert Level news
SportNZ has issued advice on its website about sport and recreation at Alert Level 2. The COVID-19 Outdoors website also contains useful, accurate information on what you can do.
The coming weeks will include changes. Keep an eye on our Facebook group for the latest news, and information on any events and activities we organise. For instance, the Tuesday evening speed session and the Sunday long runs will go ahead by adapting to meet the requirements of Alert Level 2 – such as signing in and social distancing requirements. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Cancellations: Takahe to Akaroa Road Relay and Hutt Marathon
Wellington teams will not be allowed to attend the Takahe to Akaroa Relay. Our club trip will not go ahead. Those that have paid the club money will be refunded. If you have any questions please contact Alistair Collow.
The Hutt Marathon cannot take place at Level 2 so the race has been cancelled. Existing entries will be transferred to next year.
Virtual Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup
Tanadees/Arkwright 2021 is a virtual event, run on the waterfront (8km from Fergs to Balaena Bay and back) between 19 September and 9 October.
The 2021 virtual course follows the old Powerade Challenge course (2012-2018 version), so hopefully it’s straightforward (but without free Powerade). Start at the “0” km marker at Fergs Kayaks, run to the public toilets at Balaena Bay, then run back to Fergs.
Stay tuned for regular updates (although the handicaps will be secret until the event is over!).
Athletics Wellington Race Walking Championships, 2 October
This race is on a measured course on the Twin Lakes access road at Te Marua, Upper Hutt. Trentham United and Wellington clubs are jointly hosting the meeting.
Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km, 10 October
The Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km will take place if Wellington is at Alert Level 1.
Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy and Baudinet Cup, 16 October
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. It is a 9.1km course with a little bit of road, a little bit of cross country and beach, and a little bit of a hill.
Wairarapa Country Marathon, 7 November
Includes a half marathon, 10km and 5km race for runners and walkers. The marathon is this year’s Wellington Marathon Championship race.
The Agency Group 10000m, 13 November
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last three years the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
This year it will also be the National Championship, the Wellington Championship, and the NZ Masters Championship. We’ll be back with race packs to help runners of all speeds to new personal bests.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.