Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 1km reps at different speeds. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm club pack runs. From our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park off Salisbury Avenue, Mt Cook. Friendly training packs of different speeds.
- Sunday, between 7.30am and 8:30am 3 Peaks Event One. The peaks are Mt Albert, Mt Victoria and Te Ahumairangi (Lookout) – you can do as many peaks as you like and run the course any way you like. Approximate distance of about ~20km. From our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park off Salisbury Avenue, Mt Cook. Pay $10 on the day with proceeds going towards Wellington City Mission.
Jasmine Smith earned a 5km PB of 22:29 at a time trial at Karori Park on Saturday.
Welcome to new members Aruntha Moorty, Simon Reynolds, Nicky van Hulst, and Murtesa Hassen.
You can join now
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Needle Relay, 25 July, Kilbirnie
The Needle Relay is the first inter-club event of the year. It replaces the old Bays Relay. It will feature teams of five, with each runner running a leg of 3km or 5km, starting and finishing at the Kilbirnie Wind Needle. If you are keen to be in a team contact your captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon.
University Relay, 8 August, Mackays Crossing
The University Relays are organised by Victoria University Athletic Club and take place at Queen Elizabeth Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki.
The course covers undulating, sandy farmland and bush. For adults each lap is roughly 3.7km.
The afternoon includes the following events:
- The Whittaker’s Chocolate Walk – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km. Walkers must estimate their time with the winners being the walkers who are closest to their estimated time. Prizes for first female and first male.
- The boys and girls races – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- The Victoria University Relay – 8 grades with 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km lap
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We’ll leave from the CBD and return to a pub afterwards.
Wellington 3 Peaks Series, 19 July, 23 Aug and 20 Sept
The 3 Peaks is an iconic series of three winter events open to anyone who want to experience varied running/walking trails covering nine Wellington peaks. This year the series kicks off on Sunday 19 July. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
Road Relays are on Saturday 3 October this year. And they are back at Feilding.
The club normally organises accomodation for 2 and 3 October, transport to and from Feilding, a van for each team, team entries and a dinner in the evening to come together and celebrate a great weekend.
To help us plan the weekend we want to know of who might be coming. So please help us by answering this short survey.
Farewell to Kevin Ross
Commiserations to the many Scottish athletes who lost their coach Kevin Ross this week.
Be a pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon
Would you like to be a Pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon on 30 August? Scottish provides the pacers, and we know from past experience that competitors seek out the pacers and appreciate the help they provide. You get free entry and a shirt to run in. Pace slots are 1.25, 1.45, 1.50, 2.10, 2.15 (1.30 and 1.40 already covered).
Contact Todd Stevens
Represent Wellington at the national champs
Don Dalgliesh wants an expression of interest from anyone who would like to represent Wellington at the NZ Cross Country Champs (Dunedin, 29 August) or the NZ 10km Road Champs (Auckland, 7 November).
If you’re keen then fill out the expression of interest form.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here
Photo credit: Amanda Broughton