The Wellington Harrier Athletic Club invites us to take part in the first interclub event of the season, the new Needle Relay. If you want to be in a team please let your team captain know.
- The Needle Relay takes place around a central hub: the Wind Needle, situated on the corner of Cobham Drive and Evans Bay Parade.
- There are two laps: an out-and-back 5km north to Weka Bay; and an out-and-back 3km east past the main airport roundabout.
- The Turkey Trot for walkers uses the 5km lap.
- New this year is a 4-person Children’s Needle Relay for those aged 10-13. Each runner has the same out-and-back 1.6km lap north to just before Hataitai Beach.
- The Needle Relay for juniors, seniors, masters and composite teams is a 5-person relay. Laps 1, 3, and 5 use the 5km lap. Laps 2 and 4 use the 3km lap. Total distance 21km.
- The Needle Relay is a footpath relay. Runners must not run on, or even step onto, the road. This is a safety issue. It also means that no contracted traffic management is necessary, which results in entry fees for the relay being halved.
- There is a new relay entry system for 2020. Athletics Wellington is providing batons with RFID chips to handle the timing and recording.
- Clubs must submit their team entries via an online portal no later than 11.59pm on Thursday 23 July. There will be no late entries.
- Submission of detailed team information, names of team members, and the running order is handled by a separate online link which will be provided by email to each team on Friday 24 July.
- Covid -19. Spectators may register their presence at the event by scanning the club’s QR code. Athletes are recorded as a member of their club’s team. There are no mandatory public health requirements at alert level 1. Please remain vigilant and continue to practice good hygiene to minimise the risk of community transmission. If alert levels change, we will adopt that level’s requirements.
Photo by Crys
Comments are closed.