- All week, Virtual Tanadees and Arkwright 2021, run or walk on the waterfront Fergs to Balaena Bay and back between 19 September and 9 October. More details.
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 500s at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 10.00am, Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon, Carterton.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs. Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a booking at the Hop Garden for those who want.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Wellington Road Champs
There were some great personal bests to Jack Shaw 33:43, Paul Barwick 33:30, Nicholas Bagnall (as usual) 38:12, Lucy Fauth 39:54 (breaking 40), Karl Jackson 38:55, Johnathan Evans 38:48, Iain Shaw 39:25 (equalled his PB), Janine Sharma 46:27, Lindsay Young 49:29, Denis McCarthy 37:32, Luke Norman 38:03, Sophie Whelan 40:59, Bert Prendergast 31:59, Kristian Day 31:33 and Mike Tong 35:05.
Congratulations to our gold medal-winning teams: our girls U10 team of Naomi Richardson, Luca Cunningham and Juliet Street, our M35s of Mark Moore, Paul Barwick, Alasdair Saunders and Geoff Ferry, our M50s of Grant McLean, Brendon Thompson, Peter Stevens, and David Kettles, and our open men’s team of Daniel Jones, Seamus Kane, Kristian Day, Bert Prendergast, Ben Twyman and Malcolm Hodge.
Athletics Wellington Winter Series
The winter series finds the top scorer in each grade over 4 key winter event; the Vosseler Shield, Dorne Cup and Wellington Championships for Cross-Country and Road. Athletes generally need to compete in all four events to maximise their points.
Congratulations to Scottish medallists Mel Stevens 1st W35, Emily Solsberg 3rd W35, Tricia Sloan 2nd W50, Betty Harp 2nd W60, Christine Jones 3rd W60, Pam Graham 1st W70, Naomi Richardson 1st W10, Luca Cunningham 3rd W10, Amy Walker 1st W20, Simon Keller 3rd M35, Grant McLean 1st M50, David Kettles 3rd M50, Daniel Jones 1st SM, and Kristian Day 3rd SM.
Gala Dei Castelli Meeting, Bellinzona Switzerland
Hamish Carson was 6th in the 1500m in 3:37.76.
Trond Mohn Games, Bergen, Norway
Hamish Carson was 3rd in the 1500m in 3:44.57.
Alert Level news
SportNZ has issued advice on its website about sport and recreation at Alert Level 2. The COVID-19 Outdoors website also contains useful, accurate information on what you can do.
The coming weeks will include changes. Keep an eye on our Facebook group for the latest news, and information on any events and activities we organise. For instance, the Tuesday evening speed session and the Sunday long runs will go ahead by adapting to meet the requirements of Alert Level 2 – such as signing in and social distancing requirements. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Cancellations: Takahe to Akaroa Road Relay and Hutt Marathon
Wellington teams will not be allowed to attend the Takahe to Akaroa Relay. Our club trip will not go ahead. Those that have paid the club money will be refunded. If you have any questions please contact Alistair Collow.
The Hutt Marathon cannot take place at Level 2 so the race has been Cancelled. Existing entries will be transferred to next year. Check the website for confirmation.
Virtual Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup
Tanadees/Arkwright 2021 is a virtual event, run on the waterfront (8km from Fergs to Balaena Bay and back) between 19 September and 9 October.
The 2021 virtual course follows the old Powerade Challenge course (2012-2018 version), so hopefully it’s straightforward (but without free Powerade). Start at the “0” km marker at Fergs Kayaks, run to the public toilets at Balaena Bay, then run back to Fergs.
Stay tuned for regular updates (although the handicaps will be secret until the event is over!).
Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon, West Carterton, 25 September
The Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon is open to teams of three or individuals – walkers and runners. It takes part on a three-lap course over an undulating road.
Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km, 10 October
The Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km will take place if Wellington is at Alert Level 1.
Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy and Baudinet Cup, 16 October
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. It is a 9.1km course with a little bit of road, a little bit of cross country and beach, and a little bit of a hill.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.