The big news this week is that the club management committee has confirmed the subsidised price for NZ Road Relays trip is $140. That includes accommodation, rental van transport in Christchurch, race entry and dinner on Saturday night. That just leaves you to get yourself to Christchurch. There are cheaper rates for supporters, or those who do not need accommodation and/or Saturday night dinner. There will also be an option to purchase premium accommodation for some who want it. Registrations will open shortly. For more details contact Alistair Collow or John Gardiner.
Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is a pyramid: 500m at 5km pace, 1km at 10k pace, 1.5km at half pace. See website for details.
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Sparkle Fitness strength and conditioning, Club K Gym. Email Sierra for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kāpiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 10.00am, North Island Cross Country Championships, Spa Park Taupō
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs (all speeds). Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a trip to the pub for those who want.
With the postponement of the Wellington Marathon this week I couldn’t find any results to share with you. So instead, let’s go back in time to celebrate the 2015 Marathon, when two soon-to-be Scottish athletes, Ruby Muir and Chris Wharam, won the titles (see photo above of Chris wearing a different rampant lion). And, as Rowan Greig noted at the time, Bert picked up silver in the Wellington Marathon championships.
Galashiels /Novice Cup, 10 July
This fun club race is open handicap. Slower runners start well before the fast ones, leading to a pursuit, where your challenge is to try and catch up with the runners who started before you. If the handicapper gets it right, almost everyone crosses the finish line within a minute or two. Anyone can win, by outperforming their handicap.
This is a popular club race, well attended in previous years. Please be at Muritai School, Eastbourne by 2:00pm, with the slower runners already warmed up and ready to go, so that we can get the race underway on time.
Trentham United Inter-club walk, 11 July
Trentham United Walkers and Race Walking Wellington invites you, your club members and friends to the 2021 Trentham United Inter-club walk to be held on Sunday 11 July 2021 from 1:30pm at Trentham Memorial park, with the clubrooms serving as Race HQ. The event is open to all walkers, including A-grade, B-grade and freestyle walkers. There are 10km, 5km, 3km and 2km (juniors) options on a 1km measured course.
Online entries are now open and will close midnight Thursday 8 July 2021
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 18 July
The culmination of the cross country season at scenic Harcourts Park, Upper Hutt. The course will be based on a 2km lap similar to the lap used for the 2019 NZ Cross Country Champs. The lap has a mixture of flat and undulating cross country running, and is suitable for spikes. Seniors and masters can choose to race 5km or 10km.
Todd Stevens will be looking for volunteers to help on the day with marshalling and organising the races. If you think you can help please contact Todd.
Heather Walker has kindly taken over the task of managing club uniforms and merchandise. If you want a singlet or other gear please contact her.
WUU2K aid station, 17 July
On Saturday 17 July, the Wellington Urban Ultra (WUU2k) is taking place on the hills surrounding Wellington. Wellington Scottish have been offered the Wind Turbine aid station which is around the halfway point for both 42k and 60k runners. If anyone is interested in helping out during the day at the Scottish-themed aid station can people please message Malcolm Kerr (Viride).
Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.