Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 500s at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kāpiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs (all speeds). Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a trip to the pub for those who want.
- Sunday, 7.00am, Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon 10km and kids’ magic mile, Sky Stadium
NZ Secondary Schools Cross Country Championships, Hawera
Ben Brunner was 5th in the junior boys 4km in 15.10, Gus Tulloch was 48th in 16.43 and Torben Fear was 78th in 18.43. Maeve O’Regan-Smith was 61st in 19:16 at the senior girls 4km. James Hercus was 62nd in 22.10 in the senior boys 6km, closely followed by Guy Lees 63rd in 22.12.
3 Peaks No. 3 ‘As the Crow Flies’, 20 June
Sunday morning saw the third and final 3 Peaks event of 2021. 27 keen runners showed up (given the weather forecast), and as expected they came back a bit wetter than they set out. Devoted to running an enjoyable, safe event, we moved mountains or at least a peak to avoid the exposed, slippery Crow’s Nest, and replace it with a less-adventurous alternative.
From Scottish, the first runners home were Genevieve Coffey for the women, and Andy Ford for the men. 16 people, including Andy Ford, John Gardiner, Gerard Gordon, Kath Littler, Don Stevens, and James Turner participated in all 3 events.
Meeting Internazionale Città di Nembro, 17 June
Hamish Carson was 3rd in the 1500m, in 3:39.52.
Meeting D’athletisme De L’eure, Lyon, 19 June
Hamish Carson was 5th in the 1500m in 3:36.99
Wellington Marathon, 27 June
Wellington Marathon starts at Sky Stadium and winds around Wellington’s waterfront. Events include a full marathon, half marathon, 10km and the kids’ magic mile.
If you are entering the 10km or half marathon, make sure you join the Scottish team (the official name is “Wellington Scottish Athletics Club”) and help us compete for the team titles.
Galashiels /Novice Cup, 10 July
This fun club race is open handicap. Slower runners start well before the fast ones, leading to a pursuit, where your challenge is to try and catch up with the runners who started before you. If the handicapper gets it right, almost everyone crosses the finish line within a minute or two. Anyone can win, by outperforming their handicap.
This is a popular club race, well attended in previous years. Please be at Muritai School, Eastbourne by 2:00pm, with the slower runners already warmed up and ready to go, so that we can get the race underway on time.
Trentham United Inter-club walk, 11 July
Trentham United Walkers and Race Walking Wellington invites you, your club members and friends to the 2021 Trentham United Inter-club walk to be held on Sunday 11 July 2021 from 1:30pm at Trentham Memorial park, with the clubrooms serving as Race HQ. The event is open to all walkers, including A-grade, B-grade and freestyle walkers. There are 10km, 5km, 3km and 2km (juniors) options on a 1km measured course.
Online entries are now open and will close midnight Thursday 8 July 2021
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 18 July
The culmination of the cross country season at scenic Harcourts Park, Upper Hutt. The course will be based on a 2km lap similar to the lap used for the 2019 NZ Cross Country Champs. The lap has a mixture of flat and undulating cross country running, and is suitable for spikes. Seniors and masters can choose to race 5km or 10km.
Todd Stevens will be looking for volunteers to help on the day with marshalling and organising the races. If you think you can help please contact Todd.
WUU2K aid station, 17 July
On Saturday 17 July, the Wellington Urban Ultra (WUU2k) is taking place on the hills surrounding Wellington. Wellington Scottish have been offered the Wind Turbine aid station which is around the halfway point for both 42k and 60k runners. If anyone is interested in helping out during the day at the Scottish-themed aid station can people please message Malcolm Kerr (Viride).
Discounts from Athletics NZ
Athletics NZ offers a range of discounts for club members – insurance, hotels, rental cars, sports gear, first aid training and shoes. Check out the website for details.
Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.