Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf. Come and run, volunteer or support.
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Twilight Track Meet No 3, Newtown Park. This week there is a 100m, 3000m, 300m and 800m.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday, club life member Colin Maclachlan’s 80th birthday. Happy birthday Colin.
Kepler Challenge and Luxmore Grunt
Dan Jones won the Kepler Challenge in 04:05:23. Kristian Day was 5th in 04:43:17, and Ruby Muir was 2nd in 05:01:54, Tom Sawyer 5:29:16, Abigail Pitman 07:30:51. Ayesha Shafi was 4th in the Luxmore Grunt in 2:40:11, Willie Stephens 03:28:01.
Tip Track Marathon and Te Kopahou Thousand
Malcolm Kerr did the entire Tip Track Marathon, breaking 6 hours with a brave last lap. Walter Somerville and Dougal Thorburn were 1st and 2nd respectively in Te Kopahou Thousand, with Walter setting a new course record. In a now familiar story for the year Fiona and Spike Hayvice also did the TKT with Spike finishing in front by a couple of seconds.
Lucas Duross won the Ironmāori triathlon in Napier by 15 minutes in a time of 3:54:04. Richard Sweetman 6:33:53 was first M70.
Mini meet, Newtown Park.
Amy Walker ran 13.42 for 100m and 28.09 for 200m. Jamie Barnes ran 2:36.39 for 1000m and Luke Grover ran 2:43.08.
Wellington 10000m Race Walk Championship
Sean Lake 1:04:13.84, Ian Morton 1:10:43.24, Terri Grimmett 1:13:41.71, John Hines 1:28:30.87
The Agency Group 10000m Festival
For the third time in three years the Agency Group 10000m delivered the fastest time on NZ soil for the year.
Michele Allison smashed the New Zealand women’s 65+ age grade record of 46:36.27 by running 44:41.87. That is her fourth age-grade record this summer, having also claimed the 3000m, 5000m and steeplechase in recent weeks.
Peter Stevens set a new Wellington M55 age record 34:49.58, Grant McLean set a new Agency Group M50 race record 34:13.90. Karl Jackson and Nicolas Vessiot stuck like glue to their pacers to both earn impressive sub-40 minute PBs, Megan Ferry PBed and dipped under an hour. Betty Harp was well under her target time and became NZ W60 champion. New PBs alsos to Malcolm Hodge, Geoff Ferry, Alistair Richardson, Frank Grieve, Jasmine Smith and Emma Sturmfels.
- Full results are below
- NZMA results
- Sharon Wray’s photos: B Race, A Race and Agency Group Invitational Race
- Rowan Greig’s photos, video and write-up
- Athletics NZ write-up
Crazyman Multisport events
The “Living the Dream’ Team of Todd and Mel Stevens completed the Crazyman Duathlon in 3:00:18. Mel had the fastest women’s run of the day.
Waterfront 5km PBs to Stephen Clarke, Willie Stephens, Sophie Whelen and Naomi Richardson.
Lifestyle Sport Night of Miles, 19 December
The Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile.
Each year we collect donations ($5 suggested) from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity. 2020’s charity is the Wellington Free Ambulance.
The programme consists of a mix of children’s, senior elite and fun social events. There are several different mile races including elite men’s and women’s races and an all-comers mile that anyone can participate in (including Father Christmas).
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges. Free for Scottish members. Each meet includes two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
If your athlete wants to take part in the Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the series.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here