Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 500m reps at different paces. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm club pack runs. From our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park off Salisbury Avenue, Mt Cook. Friendly training packs of different speeds.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details..
27 Scottish teams and about 40 teams for other clubs took part in the inaugural Needle Relay in perfect Wellington conditions. Happy chaos ensued as runners converged on the handover points from several directions and at a wide variety of speeds.
Many runners took the first opportunity of an interclub race in half a year to unleash. Notable among them were Geoff Ferry, knocking 30 seconds of his 5km personal best, and Herms Townsley also running a very fast (personal best?) 5km.
Great to see a bunch of new runners to the club out racing hard too – like Sophie Whelan, who was robbed of a spot on top of the podium after her composite team was disqualified for being too good.
- Adult results
- Children’s results
- Rowan Grieg’s photos
- Sharon Wray’s photos
- Results from the Turkey Trot Walk to come
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
University Relay, 8 August, Mackays Crossing
The University Relays are organised by Victoria University Athletic Club and take place at Queen Elizabeth Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki.
The course covers undulating, sandy farmland and bush. For adults each lap is roughly 3.7km.
The afternoon includes the following events:
- 12pm – The Whittaker’s Chocolate Walk – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km. Walkers must estimate their time with the winners being the walkers who are closest to their estimated time. Prizes for first female and first male.
- 1.15pm onwards – The boys and girls races – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- 2.50pm – The Victoria University Relay – 8 grades with 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km lap
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We’ll leave from the CBD and return to a pub afterwards.
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 16 August
The Cross Country Championships are at Harcourt Park, Upper Hutt on Sunday 16 August. The course is very similar to last year’s NZ Cross Country course – a mixture of sports fields and rolling climbs on grass.
For the adults the 5km race is at 11am and the 10km race is at 1.20pm. You can do either or both of these races – depending on your age grade one will be a championship distance and the other will be non-championship.
Todd Stevens is looking for people to help on the day – set up, registration, finish area, pack down. Anyone that can help should contact him.
Contact Todd Stevens
Wellington 3 Peaks Series, 23 Aug and 20 Sept
The 3 Peaks is an iconic series of three winter events open to anyone who want to experience varied running/walking trails covering nine Wellington peaks. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
Road Relays are on Saturday 3 October this year. And they are back at Feilding.
The club normally organises accomodation for 2 and 3 October, transport to and from Feilding, a van for each team, team entries and a dinner in the evening to come together and celebrate a great weekend.
To help us plan the weekend we want to know of who might be coming. So please help us by answering this short survey.
Track and field season
Athletics Wellington is changing the way that senior track and field meets are managed for next summer season. It is inviting clubs and individuals to organise and host special events throughout the summer.
Wellington Scottish Athletics has already offered to host a monthly series of mid-week twilight track meets. These will be a mixture of sprints and middle-distance races, probably starting around 6:15pm. The evening programme will be finished by 7:30pm. Photo-timing and formal results will be provided.
Scottish will also continue to host and organise the Agency Group 10000m Festival and the Night of Miles.
Be a pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon
Todd Stevens is still looking for pacers for the Wellington Half Marathon on 30 August. You get free entry and a shirt to run in. Pace slots available are 1.25 and 2.15 (the other times are now covered).
Contact Todd Stevens
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here