Our weekly newsletter will be taking a Christmas/New Years break next week and through much of January. Have a great holiday everyone.
Options for the week
- Tuesday 5.30pm, Waterfront 5km, Outside Mac’s Brewbar on Taranaki Wharf. Come and run, volunteer or support 🙂
- Wednesday 6.15pm, Newtown Park Track. Meet 6.15pm for 6.30pm start, lead by Andy and Rowan, shorter distance track reps.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Newtown Track workout – contact Chandima for info, or check Facebook for details. Longer track reps with a focus on building towards major events.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – we will alternate this summer between the usual 8.30am from Freyburg and some alternative locations to take advantage of some of the great trail running options around Wellington. Contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Niam and Lucas ran an impressive 4.05 two-person relay mile at the Scottish Night of Miles. Geoff Ferry pipped Alasdair Saunders by 3 hundredths of a second, but both dipped under 5 minutes with impressive 4.59s. Emma Bassett tailed and then snuck in front of Fiona Hayvice, both recording 6.11s. Santa’s time has not been recorded for posterity – Results and photos
- “Suffer fest” half Ironman at Rotorua: Pete Kelly got a top 10 overall and was first over 40 in 4.42, a pretty impressive time on a tough course. Ben Cornelius not too far behind and also under five hours in his comeback tri. Karl Jackson a solid 5.26, Greg Williams fighting his asthma all the way but getting through it and Claire Jennings in just over eight hours – Results
- Bill Wang 19th overall and 3rd in his age category (40-49) at the Speights Westcoaster Trail Marathon in a time of 5hrs 47minutes.
- A first-ever sub-three for Andrew Kerr at the Whanganui Three Bridges Marathon! And an unlucky DNF for President Michael – results and photos
- Junior Interclub – Naomi Richardson, Echelon Topp and Teina Mill all took part in a multitude of events – results
- Waterfront 5k PBs to Chris Wharam, Jonathan Evans, Kasey McKinnon, Fiona McMaster and Megan Ferry – results
Jumbo-Holdsworth Trail Race and Hooper Loop Trail Race, 25 January
A large crew of Scottish Lions is heading up to the Wairarapa for the weekend to take part in the Jumbo-Holdsworth Trail Race or the shorter Hooper Loop Race. Details of the race are here. It’s a spectacular and nearby race with incredible views on a sunny summer day. And it finishes by a swimming hole and country barbeque. If you are interested in joining in contact us.
Round the Bays, 16 February, Frank Kitts Park
Round the Bays is the biggest running festival in Wellington. It’s one of our best opportunities to invite new people to join the club. Join the Wellington Scottish team as a runner, a helper or a pacer.
Michelle Knight will be coordinating that recruitment drive. If you think you can help either beforehand with promotion, publicity and administration support or on the day handing out flyers, staffing our tent and talking to people about Scottish contact her.
Athletics Wellington is again providing pace runners for the Round the Bays half marathon and 10km event on Sunday 16 February. Pacing is a lot of fun, and each pacer usually has a large following of runners (at least initially). Each pacer gets free entry and an event shirt, plus priceless glory. If you would like to pace, please contact Todd Stevens. Pace times are: Half: 1.25, 1.30, 1.40, 1.45, 1.50, 2.00, 2.15 and 10km: 40, 50, 60
Kate Slater and Dani Trewoon taking on leadership roles in the club – Kate will be the club’s new programme manager (organing what happens and when) and Dani Trewoon will be the club’s new senior women’s captain.
- Our full events calendar is available on our website. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.