Options for the week
- Tuesday 5.30pm. Waterfront 5km, Outside Mac’s Brewbar on Taranaki Wharf
- Saturday 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 7.00am, Aorangi Undulator, Mangatoetoe valley entrance.
- Saturday 8.00am, Newtown Track workout – contact Chandima for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Fiona Hayvice was 34th at the IAU 24 Hour World Championships in France with a 24 hour PB of 210.134km! – results
- Fiona MacMaster was the fastest Scottish runner at the Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay, beating her handicap by a whopping 2.25. And thus she wins the Ladies Open Handicap Cup for the year. Matyas James was the first Scottish male home and therefore claims the Baudinet Cup again – Results and photos
The Agency Group 10000m Festival, 9 November
- The Agency Group 10000m is most popular 10,000m festival in New Zealand. Last year the Agency Group 10000m was a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. This year we are offering pace packs of 50 mins, 45 mins, 40 mins, 38.30 mins and faster. Races are open to men and women of all age grades. Entries are open and free here. Entries need to be in by Wednesday 6 November. If you can help volunteer for the event please contact me – we need lap counters, people to help with registration, and people to manage the spectator zone… and someone to help Don cook sausages.
Prizegiving, 16 November Newtown Park Function Room, 6pm
- Please join us for a celebration of another amazing year of achievements for the club. You don’t need to pay immediately; we will invoice you. We need to advise final numbers for catering a week ahead, so please get back to us by Friday 8 November. For queries please contact Marshall Clark. Tickets cost $35 for adults and $15 for children. You can register online here.
Ballantyne Memorial Cup, 7 December
- The Ballantyne Cup is a prestigious and long-standing Scottish trophy. By request, this year the club is going to run the Ballantyne Cup as a 10-mile race in early summer, along the Hutt River, and in the morning. There will also be a shorter 5-mile option. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt. Race starts at 8.30.
Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles, 14 December
- The Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles is an annual event organised by Wellington Scottish Running Club. It is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile. Each year we collect donations ($5 suggested) from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity. This year’s charity is the Mary Potter Hospice. The programme consists of a mix of children’s, senior elite and fun social events. There are several different mile races including elite men’s and women’s races and an all-comers mile that anyone can participate in (including Father Christmas). This year we are introducing a couple of new events: a Mile relay – teams of 4, each athlete running 400m (and a bit) to provide some fun at the end of the evening, prizes to any team that breaks the magical 4-minute mile! And the fastest Santa award – pop on a beard, Santa hat or full Santa suit and run the 100m or 200m – prizes to the fastest Santa this side of Lapland.
- Welcome to new members Sarah McLennan and Tamara Baker, and welcome back to Ryan and Echelon Topp, Cooper Menken, James, Naomi and Rowan Richardson and Emily Solsberg. The club is now officially bigger and more popular than it was last year!
- For the 2019/20 season, Athletics Wellington has introduced a change in the process for entering children for the Junior Interclub meets. If your athlete wants to take part in the 2019/20 Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the interclub series. The system being used for the interclub series registration is the same as was used earlier in 2019 to register all the athletes who competed in the Junior Championships. Here is the link for the Interclub season entry: https://2019-20children.eventdesq.com/ Please login at this site and follow the instructions. There is a password reset function if you have forgotten your password or Michael Wray can reset it for you. During the entry process, you will be asked to select an event. Only the 100m is shown. This is just a “dummy” to get your registration processed. Please select the 100m option and proceed. Your athlete will still have access to all the normal interclub event options. Athlete registrations must be completed by Wednesday prior to the Interclub meet. You will only need to register once for the entire season of six interclub meets but there will be a separate registration for the Junior Championships.
- With the conclusion of the Winter season, we are already looking ahead for the 2020 Cross Country Season. With this in mind, we have scheduled an Out of Stadia officials course for all winter officials and those who would be interested in joining the officials’ group. The course is scheduled for Sunday 10 November at Newtown Park. The afternoon will start with some light refreshments at 12.30pm and the session will kick off at 1.00pm. We always need new officials to assist in running our events and this is an opportunity to attend, learn and sit the exams. Unlike the T & F exams which are much more technical for each discipline, the out of stadia exams are much simpler – mostly knowledge of the relevant race rules, safety, general officiating and common-sense. The AthNZ Officials Grade 5 for Out of Stadia has 3 levels, starting at level C with an assessment paper, then exams for levels B & A. You can assure any newcomers that it is not onerous and we will ensure that they are appropriately briefed. If you are interested, or know anyone who might be interested, and are able to attend please get in touch with Alan Stevens email@example.com.
- Our full events calendar is available on our website. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.
Keep in touch with the club via:
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here