- Tuesday 6.00 pm, interval session with Andy, Alice and Rowan outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 1km reps at 10k pace.
- Wednesday 12.30pm, Vosseler course recce, outside Freyberg Pool (look for Hayden, Alice and Floor).
- Friday 12.27 pm, Kupe Run, a chatty pre-weekend run from the Kupe statue on the waterfront.
- Saturday 8.30 am, speed sessions at Karori Park. Contact our club captains, Emma and Bert, or check Facebook for details.
- Saturday 1.30pm, Woodruffe Cups Cross Country Race, Feilding.
- Saturday 2.00 pm, Friendly club pack runs, Mt Cook Clubrooms, Salisbury Terrace.
- Sunday 10.00am, Wellington Masters Classic Relays, Trentham Memorial Park, Upper Hutt. Please contact your section captain to be in a team.
- Sunday 7.30pm, Scottish Three Peaks Event 1 (Te Rauparaha pouwhenua, Te Raekaihau lookout, Matairangi), Mt Cook Clubrooms, Salisbury Terrace. See below for details.
- Sunday 8.30am, Honest Ten, outside Freyberg Pool.
South Island Ultra Marathon
Dan Jones won the men’s 100km event (from Greymouth to Hokitika) in a record time of 7:44:14. He also won $10,000 for breaking 8 hours. Yuliya Bozhko was second woman in 10:31:51.
Interclubs MixtesTC/Super League, Bruxelles
Hamish Carson won the 5000m in 14:06.75.
Ultra Trail Australia
Fiona Hayvice completed the 50km ultra in 6:27:48, for 5th place in her category.
Mel Aitken was third in this 21km trail race, in 2:22.
From last week — Peter Baillie and Helen Willis had a close race, with only 2 seconds separating their 2nd and 3rd places. Daphne Jones, Maryanne Palmer, Ian Morton, Terri Grimmett and Bob Gardner also competed.
Athletics New Zealand Marathon Team Championships
Yet more results from the Christchurch Marathon! The final results are in and the Scottish women’s team of Mel Brandon, Sophie Dickson and Megan Ferry won the silver medal. Also, I left Ewan Sinclair out by mistake last week from the listed members of the winning Scottish men’s team.
Xterra -Wainui Starlight Run
This event took place but I can’t figure out how to find the results online. Please, someone, help me.
Welcome to new members Georgie Clareburt and Megan Strickett.
Returning members, remember to rejoin for 2023.
Hoodies and long sleeve t-shirts
The hoodies and long sleeve t-shirts have arrived. If you put in an order, pick up options: clubhouse 20 May (from 1.40-2.10pm), or at the Masters Cross Country Race at Trentham Sunday, 21 May. If that doesn’t suit you, you are welcome to pick it up from Heather’s house in Mt Cook. Please text to set up a day/time (021 583 716). Please make payment (online) before pick up. Pay the club account 38 9005 0501833 00 and write the word ‘uniform’ and your name in the details somewhere.
Costs: Long sleeve t-shirt $33, Hoodie $47
Pick-up will not be possible between 26 May and 20 June — so please pick it up before 26 May.
NZ Cross Country Champs, 30 July, Taupō
Let us know if you want to join us for a trip to Taupō for the NZ Cross Country Champs. The cross-country championships bring together the best distance runners in NZ — and they are also an excellent opportunity for a club weekend away with runners of all speeds and ambitions.
Spa Park, with its rolling hills, geothermal scenery, hot pools and fast-draining volcanic soil, is one of the best cross-country courses in NZ. And Taupō is a great venue for a club weekend away. We’ll sort out shared accommodation and transport for those who want it, as well as a shared club meal on the Saturday night.
Details and register your interest
Three Peaks, Event One, 21 May
The first event of the Wellington 3 Peaks series 2023 takes place on Sunday, 21 May, from the clubrooms.
The peaks for Event 1 — “Lookout for the Horses and Cannon” — are:
- Te Rauparaha Pouwhenua (Tawatawa)
- Te Raekaihau lookout (Houghton Bay)
- Matairangi (Mt Victoria)
Points to note:
- Entry via the online form up until a couple of minutes before start time 3 Peaks Event 1 registration
- Start in your own time between 7.30am and 8.30am
- No cash taken on the day – entry fee is a suggested $10 donation per event to The Wellington City Mission
Further event information and entry forms for each event.
Wellington Masters Classic Relays, 21 May
Trentham Memorial Park, Upper Hutt. See the website or Facebook for more details. Please contact your section captain to be in a team. Paul Rodway is organising the M50 and M60 for the Classic Relay and Christine Jones is organising the women.
At the Classic Relay in 2022, the Scottish open women (Kath Littler, Karyn McLean, Bev Hodge and Mel Aitken) and the 200+ (Michael Wray, Phil Sadgrove, Matyas James and Iain Shaw) won their grades. Do any of the members of those teams have the cups that were presented at the prizegiving? If so, could they bring them to the Classic Relay on Sunday, or give them to someone they know who will be going out to Trentham. Otherwise, contact John Palmer 04 4792 130 and he will organise the collection of the cups.
Vosseler Shield, 27 May
Race details. And here are ten reasons to run the Vossseler.
This year is the 100th Vosseler Shield Race. However, WHAC is struggling for volunteer marshalls. If you are not running and you think you can help, please contact Georgina Anderson
Dorne Cup, 10 June
A flat cross-country event around the picturesque Trentham Memorial Park and the Hutt River stop banks.
Wellington Marathon, 25 June
This event includes the NZ and Wellington half-marathon champs.
Includes the NZ and Wellington half marathon championships. The Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon, 10km fun run and Kids’ Magic Mile are based at Sky Stadium. All races consist of flat, out-and-back courses. The marathon and half marathon routes are scenic tours of the Capital’s harbour bays, passing iconic landmarks on the way. Walkers are welcome. Almost 5000 runners and walkers participate in this annual event.
Make sure you put down “Wellington Scottish Athletics Club” as your team name to be part of our half marathon and 10 km teams.
Keep in touch
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains, Emma and Bert, our coaching coordinators, Jaime and Nico Vessiot, and our club president Lindsay Young
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.
- Email results and news