- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, Outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is a pyramid of 500m, 1km and 1.5km.
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Twilight Track Meet #1, Newtown Park. Register online by Tuesday.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 2.00pm, Summer Saturday afternoon run and walks that will suit those who prefer a slower pace, Anderson Park. We expect to be out for about one hour or so. All are welcome.
- Saturday 11.00am, Regional League meet #2, Palmerston North. Details below.
- Saturday, 6.00pm, Annual Prizegiving, Newtown Park. Details below.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains for info, or check Facebook for details.
Agency Group 10000m Festival
This year’s Agency Group 10000m Festival was the biggest yet, with roughly 140 participants helping each other to achieve their running goals. Ruby Muir (track PB) ran the fastest time in NZ this year, Genevieve Coffey (PB) won an Athletics NZ Challenge bronze medal. There were numerous personal bests, including to some who had never run on the track before — congratulations! One I particularly noticed, because he sped past me to take nearly a minute off his previous best 10km time, was Ben Bielski. Also track PBs to Jack Shaw, Paul Barwick, Lucy Fauth, Janine Sharma, Alice Sowry, Ashleigh Wharam, Willie Stephens and Kasey MacKinnon. I’ve surely missed some.
Kāpiti Half Marathon
Mel Aitken won in a time of 1:27:09, Sophie Whelan was 4th in 1:33:23, and Tanya Lavington 2nd W50 in 1:47:00.
Crosscup De Mol, Cross Country, Mol Antwerp
Hamish Carson was 5th in 30:02 over the 9.2km course.
Twilight Track meets, November 17
The first of the season’s mid-week Twilight track meetings is on Wednesday 17 November at Newtown Park. There are no entries on the day – so please complete the season registration form by Tuesday 16 November. If you have already registered you do not need to do so again. The track schedule is:
- 6.15pm – 100m
- 6.30pm – 1500m
- 6.45pm – 200m
- 7.00pm – 5000m
Andy Ford is also looking for volunteers to help with the finish and start line duties, including a starter! Let him know if you are available.
Night of Miles, December 18
The Scottish Night of Miles is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile. Each year we collect donations ($5 suggested) from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity — this year’s charity is the Mary Potter Hospice. The programme consists of a mix of children’s, senior elite and fun social events. There are several different mile races including elite men’s and women’s races. More info to come.
Track and field season
Most track meets at Newtown Park are free to enter for Wellington Scottish members.
Central League Meetings
The remaining meetings this year are Sat 20 November in Palmerston North and Sat 4 December in Masterton.
Under COVID19 rules, there has been a change in the instructions for competing in these meetings. The organisers now need a list for each meeting which only includes those names of athletes who intend to compete in that meeting, so all previous lists are cancelled. For each meeting, if you wish to be able to compete, you need to advise Michael Wray by the Tuesday before that meeting, so that he can include your name on our list. You need to do this for each meeting, the list does not carry over from the previous meeting. Scottish will cover the $5 charge per athlete for each meeting, so all you need to do on arrival is find Don Dalgliesh and get your competition number.
Annual Prizegiving, 20 November
From 6:00pm at the Function Room, Newtown Park Stadium.
Please join us for a fun evening where we will celebrate running and race-walking, and the achievements and contributions of our members this year. The cost is $35 per adult and $15 per child. Please pay the club bank account 38-9005-0501833-00 with your name and ‘prizegiving’ in the reference. We will refund everyone if the event is cancelled due to COVID19.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.