Here’s hoping Round the Bays can go ahead this weekend. If it does, we will be running our usual join or re-join Wellington Scottish special – you get $20 off your new season of Scottish full adult membership (down from $185 to $165). You can sign up at our bright yellow tent at Kilbirnie Park, or you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and pay Wellington Scottish Athletics 38-9005-0501833-00. Also: if you, as an existing member, sign up an adult friend who is new to the club or has not been a member for the last five years, we will give both you and your friend $15 off your membership fees. If you sign up two friends who are new to the club you get two lots of $15 off your membership fee. And so on.
Todd Stevens, email@example.com is looking for a 1.40 pacer for the half marathon and a lead biker. Please let him know if you want to help.
Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km cancelled due to COVID-19 Level 2 restrictions.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun (provisional on COVID-19 Alert Level restrictions)
- Saturday 4.00pm, Capital Classic, Newtown Park (provisional on COVID-19 Alert Level restrictions)
- Sunday 7.45am, Wellington Round the Bays, 6.5km, 10km and half marathon, Frank Kitts Park (provisional on COVID-19 Alert Level restrictions).
Twilight Track Meet No 5
Amy Walker won the Wellington 400m Championship in 59.52. Hiro Tanimoto 59.33 and Michael Wray 1:08.20 won their age group titles over the same distance.
In the 100m Hiro Tanimoto ran 14.38. In the 600m Hiro ran 1:35.04 and Heather Walker ran 1:49.68. A large crowd took part in the 5000m, including Hiro Tanimoto 15:52.86, Bert Prendergast 15:55.78, Kristian Day 16:10.81, Alasdair Saunders 16:33.23, Grant McLean 16:39.41, Alistair Richardson 16:50.66, Ruby Muir 17:00.10 (second fastest time in NZ this year), Simon Keller 17:14.85, Liam Jones 18:01.78 and Brad Wong 19:21.78.
Porritt Classic, Hamilton
Hamish Carson 13:56.50 PB was 3rd in the 5000m and Niam Macdonald ran 15:06.25 in the same race. Jamie Barnes ran a 3:59.25 PB in the 1500m and James Preston won the 800m by 1/100th of a second in 1:47.84.
Tarawera Ultramarathon, Rotorua
So many impressive results in Rotorua – hopefully I haven’t forgot anyone below:
- 100 miler: Fiona Hayvice 20:20:42 was second only a minute and a half behind the winner. Malcolm Kerr DNFed after 102kms!
- 102km: Stephen Bass 14:34:00, Jamie White 17:37:32
- 50km: Dion Gamperle 4:33:40 (top 10 finish), Nicholas Vessiot 5:09:07, Abigail Pitman 5:43:29, Jaime Vessiot 6:12:41, Marketa Langova 6:34:06
- 21km: Emma Bassett was 4th female in 1:55:05, Immediately behind her was Chris Howard 01:55:10, Michael Pitman 2:29:37, Lindsay Young 2:42:03, Michelle Knight 3:37:31
NZ Herald coverage (where I sourced the photo from) and Stuff coverage
Xterra Wellington Festival, Queen Elizabeth Park Paekakariki
Mel Aitken was 3rd in the half marathon in 1:37:42. just behind her was David Oliver 1:41:17. James Turner 1:13:08 was 2nd in the 14k race, edging out a couple of close chasers, and Steve Aitken was 1st M60 in 1:25:20 and Willie Stephens ran 1:44:16.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues until 30 March 2021. Please offer to help with registration and marshalling once in a while.
Round the Bays half marathon, 10km and 6.5km – 21 Feb
The Brendan Foot Supersite Wellington Round the Bays winds its way around Wellington’s stunning inner city harbour. There are several event options available for participants: the 6.5km Fun Run/Walk, 6.5km Active families, Pak N’ Save Buggy Walk, Bluebridge 10km and the Half Marathon. All start at Frank Kitts Park and follow the shoreline for various distances before returning to the finish line festival at Kilbirnie Park.
Let Stephen Day know if you can help at our bright yellow recruitment tent after the race – handing out flyers and encouraging people to join the club. We will be offering our usual $20 discount to adults who join or re-join on the day of Round the Bays.
Wellington 5000m Champs, 27 March
It is likely the Wellington 5000m champs will take place on Saturday 27 March late in the afternoon. Paul Hewitson from WHAC is leading the organisation and he is looking for a few more helpers. Please let me know if you an assist and I will pass on your offer. THere is likely to be an entry fee of about $8 which will include a free meal after the race. We are hoping there will be several different races to accommodate runners of all differents speeds and goals. New members to the club will be welcome to take part.
McVilly Shield Relay, date TBD, Karori Park
The McVilly Shield is the first club event for the season and a great way to get to know other people in the club. This relay has teams of three people each. Everyone can participate, runners, walkers, J Team, seniors, masters and friends of the club. Just turn up and we will find you a team. You can either race it or use it as an opportunity to do some training.
Each team must do ten laps of Karori Park. No individual team member can do more than four laps. But you can do the laps in any order you like. The race is randomly handicapped after the teams start.
If anyone is planning to come along but isn’t able to run let us know as we’re looking for 3-4 volunteers to help with timekeeping etc.
See the this article for more information.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here