Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm. Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 1.30pm, race walking training session. Bring a friend and introduce them to the fun, rules and technique of race walking. Presented by Phillip du Toit. Newtown Park
- Saturday 2:00pm, club packruns, Wellington Scottish Clubrooms, friendly training packs for all walkers and runners of all speeds. Afternoon tea afterwards followed by a trip to the Hop Garden.
- Sunday 7am onwards, Wairarapa Country Marathon (the Wellington marathon and half marathon championships), ACM Club Rooms, Blair Street, Masterton.
- Sunday, Mukamuka Munter, The website says 16 Aug, but I’m assured it’s actually on 11 Oct.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
NZ Road Relay Championships, Feilding
Probably no summary needed of the events on the day. You were either there and heard the multiple debriefs and analyses, or you weren’t and probably don’t want to. Congrats to all the teams that took part. Collectively you all helped us win the top club title for the 14th time in 20 years!
- 7 person relay results
- 6 person relay results
- Jonesy’s photos
- Ethan Gillespie’s photos
- Athletics NZ article
If you have a fuel receipt or private vehicle or other expense claim from this weekend’s trip please send it to Marshall as soon as possible.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km series restarts on 6 October and continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Wairarapa Country Marathon, half marathon, 10km and 5km, Masterton 11 October.
Scenic running around farmland behind Masterton. This race also serves as the Wellington Marathon and Half Marathon Championships.
Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup, 17 October
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. While Bernie was a staunch Scottish member, she trained with and supported many members from other clubs. The overall winner on handicap will hold the Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy for a year.
Scottish members also compete on handicap for the Baudinet Cup and Ladies Open Handicap Cup.
We assemble at St Timothy’s Presbyterian Church, 16 Te Pene Ave, Titahi Bay from about 1:30pm.
The walkers will gather earlier and set off at 1.30pm to have a pack walk/social walk around the course.
Post-race we return to the church hall for an afternoon tea and prize-giving.
The race starts at 2:05pm on the beach in front of the surf club at Titahi Bay.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 18 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here