Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 1km reps at 10km pace. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday 12.00 pm – The Whittakers Chocolate Walk, Mackays Crossing, Paekākāriki – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km.
- Saturday 1.15 pm The boys and girls races, Mackays Crossing, Paekākāriki – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- Saturday 2.50pm University Relay, Mackays Crossing, Paekākāriki – 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km cross country lap. Book a bus trip to the relay.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details..
2020 IAU Virtual 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run
Congratulations to Emma Bassett, Emily Solsberg, Fiona Hayvice and Mel Aitken, who have all been selected to represent New Zealand at the 2020 IAU Virtual 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run over the weekend of 29 – 30 August 2020.
Ben Twyman won the Taupō Marathon in 2.40. Mel Aitken won the half marathon in 1.22 and our Reporoa-based junior, Casey Thorby was second male overall in the half marathon in 1.13. Steve Aitken was 11th in the 10km run in 48.47.
In last week’s Turkey Trot Peter Baillie was third, overestimating his time by just 28 seconds, closely followed by Murray Gowans who was only 29 seconds out. Other Scottish walkers included Bob Gardner, John Hines, Maryanne Palmer, Daphne Jones, John Palmer and Ray Marten.
Johnsonville Masters Road Race
And apologies that I missed publicizing the Johnsonville Masters Road Race Enough of you knew about it that Scottish won the teams competition for both the runners (Matyas James, Marketa Langova, Don Stevens, Glen Wallis) and walkers (Sean Lake, Terri Grimmett, Maryanne Palmer). Marketa Langova and Kath Littler were second and third women in the individual running race.
Full results to come.
University Relay, 8 August, Mackays Crossing
The University Relays are organised by Victoria University Athletic Club and take place at Queen Elizabeth Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekākāriki.
The course covers undulating, sandy farmland and bush. For adults each lap is roughly 3.7km.
The afternoon includes the following events:
- 12pm – The Whittaker’s Chocolate Walk – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km. Walkers must estimate their time with the winners being the walkers who are closest to their estimated time. Prizes for first female and first male.
- 1.15pm onwards – The boys and girls races – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- 2.50pm – The Victoria University Relay – 8 grades with 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km lap
Take the Scottish bus to the Uni Relay
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We will leave from the Wellington Train Station at 12.50pm and return after the race prize-giving to Foxglove Bar and Kitchen afterwards (with plenty of time to spare before the Hurricanes game).
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 16 August
The Cross Country Championships are at Harcourt Park, Upper Hutt on Sunday 16 August. The course is very similar to last year’s NZ Cross Country course – a mixture of sports fields and rolling climbs on grass.
For the adults the 5km race is at 11am and the 10km race is at 1.20pm. You can do either or both of these races – depending on your age grade one will be a championship distance and the other will be non-championship.
Wellington 3 Peaks Series, 23 Aug and 20 Sept
The 3 Peaks is an iconic series of three winter events open to anyone who want to experience varied running/walking trails covering nine Wellington peaks. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
The road trip to NZ Road Relays will take place 2-4 October 2020. We will stay in Palmerston North and race around Feilding.
Please fill out this registration form to let us know you plan to join us. The all-inclusive cost of the trip is $250. Because of COVID-19 we have not been able to get any grants this year, so the cost is higher than last year.
However, it is still very good value because of a large subsidy from club funds. It includes race entry, return transport from Wellington, good quality accommodation in Palmerston North on Friday and Saturday night, transport around the course on race day, and a buffet dinner on Saturday night.
Welcome to new members Rose Frendin, James Hercus, Oliver Hercus, Hannah Leech, Hilary Jane Wicks and Adam Cockburn!
Our 2020 membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Volunteers needed to help with Wellington Cross Country Champs
Todd Stevens is looking for people to help on the day – set up, registration, finish area, pack down. Anyone that can help should contact him.
Contact Todd Stevens
Be a pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon
Todd Stevens is still looking for pacers for the Wellington Half Marathon on 30 August. You get free entry and a shirt to run in. Pace slots available are 1.25, 2.00 and 2.15 (the other times are now covered).
Contact Todd Stevens
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here