Options for the week
- Tuesday 5.30pm, Waterfront 5km, Outside Mac’s Brewbar on Taranaki Wharf. Come and run, volunteer or support.
- Wednesday 6.15pm, Newtown Park Track workout. Meet 6.15pm for 6.30pm start, lead by Andy and Rowan, shorter distance track reps.
- Friday to Sunday, NZ Track & Field Champs, Christchurch (Seamus Kane, Niam Macdonald, Hiro Tanimoto).
- Saturday, 8.00am, McVilly Shield, Karori Park. Bring friends and family.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, Tararua Mountain Race (Details on the website are pretty sketchy)
- Sunday 8.30am. Scottish long runs. Contact Ben Twyman or Danielle Trewoon for details or check Facebook.
- Sunday, 9.00am, Hutt Fun Run 5km and 10km, McEwan Park, Petone
- Niam Macdonald ran 3.59.92 and Hiro Tanimoto 4.28.39 in the 1500m at the Capital Classic – Results
- At the NZ Masters Track & Field Champs in Hastings Peter Stevens won Distance Athlete of the Year 2019. In other results – Terri Grimmett: 2nd in W60 800m 4.10.86, 2nd in W60 1500m 8.10.4, 3rd in W60 3000m 17.14.26, 1st in W60 3000m Walk 21.03.34, DQed from 5000m Walk. Jonathon Harper: 3rd in M65 800m in 2.59.22. Geoff Iremonger: DNF in 30000m Walk. Daphne Jones; 1st in W75 3000m Walk in 21.48.57, 1st in 5000m Walk in 36.54.80. Sean Lake: 1st M45 5000m Walk 30.23.67, 1st M45 3000m Walk in 17.58.68. Peter Stevens: 1st M55 5000m in 17.24.55, 1st M55 1500m in 4.47.30, 1st M55 3000m Steeplechase in 11.05.61, 1st M55 800m in 2.19.63. Michael Wray: 1st M50 3000m in 10.15.43,1st M50 5000m in 17.38.83, 3rd M50 1500m in 4.50.23, 6th M50 800m in 2.38.32 – Results
- I don’t normally cover Park Run results but I understand that Walter Somerville leapfrogged to the finish of the Lower Hutt course on Saturday (?).
- Matthew Moloney finished the Individual Long Course Duathlon at the Wairarapa Mountain Duathlon & Trail Run in 3:20:11.1 – Results
- Tom Sawyer was third at the Christchurch Motorway Half Marathon in 1:20:41 – Results
- Waterfront 5km PBs to Kristian Day, Dion Gamperle, Sam Ellison, Nicholas Vessiot and Michelle Knight – Results
McVilly Shield Relay, 7 March, Karori Park
The McVilly Shield is the first club event for the season and a great way to get to know other people in the club. This relay has teams of three people each. Everyone can participate, runners, walkers, J Team, seniors, masters and friends of the club. Just turn up and we will find you a team. You can either race it or use it as an opportunity to do some training.
Each team must do ten laps of Karori Park. No individual team member can do more than four laps. But you can do the laps in any order you like. The race is randomly handicapped after the teams start.
If anyone is planning to come along but isn’t able to run let us know as we’re looking for 3-4 volunteers to help with timekeeping etc.
See the article below for more information.
Wellington 5000m Championships, 28 March, Newtown Park
This track and field club meet is the last Athletics Wellington meet for the summer season. It incorporates the Melrose Shield interclub relay races and season close and the 5000m Walk and Run championships. Traditionally a large number of Scottish runners participate in the 5000m races. The Melrose Sheild will incorporate a medley relay (where runners in each team all run different distances). We have confirmed with Athletics Wellington that new members can also run either or both of these events if they want.
Centennial Cup, 4 April, Island Bay
This is a flat 5km club race along the south coast waterfront starting at Island Bay. This is normally our first club race of each season. It is the traditional opening race of the season where members will compete for the new Centennial Cup, formerly the Le Gaye Rosebowl. It is a sealed handicap event where our handicapper has estimated your time over 5km to determine your handicap. Everyone starts together and the finishing times are adjusted by your handicap to determine your net time and the overall winner of the Cup.
We meet beforehand at St Hilda’s Church, 311 The Parade, to store gear. Then we return afterwards for an afternoon tea.
Shaw Baton Relays, 25 April (ANZAC Day), Battle Hill Farm, Pauatahanui
The Shaw Baton Relays are the first interclub race of the year. Hosted by Olympic Harriers they feature teams of four runners. Each runner does a 2km cross country loop traversing farmland, a hill, horse jumps, a pond and a flat sprint finish. Runners of all abilities can take part.
Singlets and club uniforms
You can buy Wellington Scottish singlets and other merchandise from the club’s uniforms manager Scott Ryland or from our online shop. This year the club is selling singlets for the subsidised price of $39 for adults and $29 for children. Scott also sells the seamless Early racing singlets that club member John Plimmer manufacturers locally. And he sells other merchandise like tee shirts and caps. Contact Scott if you want to get a singlet, other merchandise or simply want to ask a question.
The Scottish AGM will be held on 11 March at the Cricket Clubrooms at Anderson Park starting from 6.00pm. All welcome to attend – we need a quorum, so please do come along! There will be nibbles. More details will follow.
Our full events calendar is available on our website. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.