Options for the week
- Tuesday 5.30pm, Waterfront 5km, Outside Mac’s Brewbar on Taranaki Wharf. Come and run, volunteer or support 🙂
- Wednesday 6.15pm, Newtown Park Track. Meet 6.15pm for 6.30pm start, lead by Andy and Rowan, shorter distance track reps.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 6.00am, Kepler Challenge and Luxmore Grunt, Te Anau.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy – Handicapped 10-Mile and 5-Mile races, St James Sea Scout Hall, 24F Marine Parade, Petone Foreshore.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – we will alternate this summer between the usual 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations to take advantage of some of the great trail running options around Wellington. Contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- At the North Island Masters Championship in Whakatane Michael Wray, Jonathon Harper and Peter Tearle won a swag of 🥇 in their respective age-grades with the following performances: Michael Wray (M50) 800m 2:43.40, 1500m 4:59.73, 3000m 10:26.00, 5000m 17:47.06. Jonathan Harper (M65) 400m 1:21.22, 800m 3:01.23, Peter Tearle (M90) Shot Put 4.42m, Discus 11.46m, Javelin 8.13m, Hammer 12.52m, Weight Throw 5.70m, Throw Pentathlon 1880m.
- Waterfront 5km PBs last week to Patrick Roby, Tiffany Bock, Abigail Durrant and Dani Stevens – results and photos
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, St James Sea Scout Hall, 7 December, 8am
- I’m looking for a few more volunteers for the Ballantyne Cup/Shirley Barton Trophy. A couple of people at the start-finish to help with results and some marshals by the bridge crossings – these roles might suit some people who want to go for a bike ride along the river? Let me know.
- The Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy are prestigious and long-standing Scottish trophies. By request, this year the club is going to run the race as a 10-mile race in early summer, along the Hutt River, and in the morning. We gather beforehand at the St James Sea Scouts, 24F Marine Parade, Petone. There will also be a shorter 5-mile option. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt. Race starts at 8.30.
Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles, 14 December
- Only two weeks to go until the 2019 Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles ☺
- Santa is in training for what promises to be a fun afternoon of friendly competition and festive cheer, open to people of all ages and abilities.
- There are fun 100m and 200m races, the all-comers race where everyone has the chance to race Santa, kids races and Men’s Masters, Men’s Elite and Women’s Competitive events and a relay.
- For more information and to enter the elite and competitive events please visit https://2019nightofmiles.eventdesq.com/
- This year we are collecting for Mary Potter Hospice and we are very grateful for the support from Lifestyle Sports, Tawa, a long-time supporter of Wellington Scottish.
- We hope to see a great turnout of rampant lions supporting and competing. We are also looking for volunteers to help with the bake stall, sausage sizzle, entries, collecting donations and at the finish line – drop Andy a line if you are willing and able to assist!
- Welcome to new member Katy McTeigue – we now have the highest number of club members since 2013.
- The club is looking for volunteers to take on the following jobs: programme coordinator (organising the calendar of club events for the year) and senior women’s captain (organising the senior women, recruiting, and supporting women in the club). If you are interested in either of these roles or have a suggestion for someone who would be great, let us know. We can help with mentoring, advice and support to get you started. And if you don’t things are being done right at the moment we welcome you doing things differently – we’re keen to support innovation and change.
- Our full events calendar is available on our website. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.
Keep in touch with the club via:
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here