- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 2km and 1km reps at target 10km pace. See website for details.
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Sparkle Fitness strength and conditioning, Club K Gym. Email Sierra for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kāpiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 10.30, Walkers Turkey Trot, corner of Cobham Drive and Evans Bay Parade
- Saturday, 1.00pm, Needle Relay, corner of Cobham Drive and Evans Bay Parade
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
NZ Cross Country Championships, Dunedin
- 6km race: Amy Walker 9th U20 in 24.43, Heather Walker first W50 in 25.26, Hinano Andrews 3rd W35 in 28.03. Wellington won the W50 teams title with Heather at the lead.
- 8km race: Brendon Thompson 3rd M50 in 31.14, Geoff Ferry 9th M35 in 31.42, Peter Stevens 2nd M55 in 31.43, Michael Wray 8th M50 in 33.43, Phil Sadgrove 3rd M60 in 34.41. Brendon, Peter and Michael were in the second place M50 team.
- 10km race: Daniel Jones 13th SM in 33.38, Seamus Kane 15th SM in 33.55, Ruby Muir 3rd SW in 38.46, Ali Campbell 10th SW in 41.19. Ruby and Ali helped Wellington win the teams title.
Meeting voor Mon Leuven, Belgium
Hamish Carson won the 3000m in 7:52.93
Needle Relay, 14 August
The Needle Relay takes place around a central hub: the Wind Needle, situated on the corner of Cobham Drive and Evans Bay Parade. There are two laps: an out-and-back 5km north to Weka Bay; and an out-and-back 3km east past the main airport roundabout. 3 people in each team do the 5km lap each, and 2 people in each team do the 3km lap. Start contacting your club captains Danielle and Ben now to be part of a team.
Wellington Road Running Champs, 21 August
The Wellington Road Champs is the last of the four big interclub races for the year. It is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km or 10km time with a large pack of runners to pull you along. It is held in the scenic Wainuiomata Recreation Area. The course is an out-and-back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. The course is largely sheltered from the wind.
Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup, 11 September
The Tanadees and Arkwright Cups Race is an 8km handicapped race around the Evans Bay/Balaena Bay waterfront. We meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool then the race starts from the Wind Needle in Kilbirnie. It is a good opportunity for a flat road race to sharpen up before NZ Road Relays.
Victoria University of Wellington Athletics Club members joins us for this race to compete for their Sherwood Cup.
Welcome to new members Michael Tong and Isabel Bridgman.
Register for NZ Road Relays trip to Akaroa
The subsidised price for NZ Road Relays trip is $140. That includes accommodation, rental van transport in Christchurch, race entry and dinner on Saturday night. That just leaves you to get yourself to Christchurch. There are cheaper rates for supporters, or those who do not need accommodation and/or Saturday night dinner. There will also be an option to purchase premium accommodation for some who want it. For more details contact Alistair Collow or John Gardiner.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.