Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 1km at half marathon pace, 500m at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm, Trinity Club Run. WHAC and Olympic will join us at our club rooms for pack runs and afternoon tea. Please make an effort to come along so we can be good hosts. Also, bring a plate to contribute to the afternoon tea.
- Sunday 8.00am, 3 Peaks No. 3 ‘As the Crow Flies’. Anderson Park Cricket Clubrooms, Botanic Gardens. The three peaks are Odells Reserve, Te Ahumairangi and the Crows Nest.
After missing last year’s Dorne Cup due to COVID lockdown, over 450 athletes, including 90 Scottish runners, turned up for this year’s races. Naomi Richardson claimed 2nd in the GU10 race. Genevieve Coffey nabbed a top ten finish among senior women. John Howell picked up the crucial points that helped the M70s to a narrow victory over WHAC – he was chased in by Fiona Macmaster. Nicole Mitchell, Mel Stevens, Ali Campbell and Ruby Muir won the open women’s team title on countback from WHAC. Adrian Marquet came from a long way back to sneak 0.1 seconds in front of Hayden Smith.
Oceania Invitational No 2, Runaway Bay, Australia
James Preston took more than half a second of his 800m PB, bringing down to 1.46.52 and beat Brad Mathas in the process. That’s the second fastest time by a New Zealander this year.
Nice International Meet, France
Hamish Carson ran another 0.1 seconds faster than last week for 1500m, recording a time of 3.36.85 in Nice. That’s the second fastest time by a New Zealander this year.
Xterra Mad Makara.
This Sunday saw the last Xterra race for 2021, racing around “a” Makara loop (at the Makara Peak Mountain Bike Park).
Long Course: Walter Somerville, Matthew Moloney, Dion Gamperle, Neil Lynch, David Oliver, Denis McCarthy, Mike Cousins, Bex Hutchinson, Willie Stephens, Anthea Oliver, Karen Jenkinson, Kath Littler, Marketa Langova.
Medium Course: Rob Tomkies, Alistair Collow
Short Course: Fiona Hayvice, Spike Hayvice (in that order for once, has Fi been working on her sprint?)
Trinity Club Run, 19 June
Each year Olympic, WHAC and Scottish get together for shared pack runs. These friendly gatherings commemorate when the three clubs amalgamated during WW1 to form the Trinity Club. On June 19, 2pm, Scottish will be hosting a Trinty Club run from our clubrooms. Please bring a plate of food to share with our guests. This is a great event to see your friends from other clubs and get to know your rivals!
Wellington Marathon, 27 June
Wellington Marathon starts at Sky Stadium and winds around Wellington’s waterfront. Events include a full marathon, half marathon, 10km and the kids’ magic mile.
If you are entering the 10km or half marathon, make sure you join the Scottish team (the official name is “Wellington Scottish Athletics Club”) and help us compete for the team titles.
Trentham United Inter-club walk, 11 July
Trentham United Walkers and Race Walking Wellington invites you, your club members and friends to the 2021 Trentham United Inter-club walk to be held on Sunday 11 July 2021 from 1:30pm at Trentham Memorial park, with the clubrooms serving as Race HQ. The event is open to all walkers, including A-grade, B-grade and freestyle walkers. There are 10km, 5km, 3km and 2km (juniors) options on a 1km measured course.
Online entries are now open and will close midnight Thursday 8 July 2021
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 18 July
The culmination of the cross country season at scenic Harcourts Park, Upper Hutt.
WUU2K aid station, 17 July
On Saturday 17 July, the Wellington Urban Ultra (WUU2k) is taking place on the hills surrounding Wellington. Wellington Scottish have been offered the Wind Turbine aid station which is around the halfway point for both 42k and 60k runners. If anyone is interested in helping out during the day at the Scottish-themed aid station can people please message Malcolm Kerr (Viride).
Discounts from Athletics NZ
Athletics NZ offers a range of discounts for club members – insurance, hotels, rental cars, sports gear, first aid training and shoes. Check out the website for details.
Expressions of interest for Wellington representative teams
If you want to represent Wellington at the North Island Cross Country Champs, the NZ Cross Country Champs or the NZ Road Champs this winter please submit an expression of interest on this form.
We currently have 229 financial members – making us one of the biggest clubs in NZ! Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.