Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 1kms at 10km pace and 500 metres at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs (all speeds). Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed y tea and bikkies, and then a trip to the pub for those who want.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Wellington Sports Award
Congratulations to Marshall Clark for being a finalist in the Wellington Sports Award Volunteer category and good luck for the win.
Rotorua Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km
Marathon: Michele Allison won the F65 NZ title in another national age group record time of 3.47.05, Betty Harp won the F60 NZ title in 3.49.26. Tanya Lavington 2nd F55 in 3.47.38. David Oliver 3:10:04, Anthea Oliver 3:27:00 (4th F35), and Michael Cummins 3:30:09 (4th M60). John Hines did 6:54 for the marathon walk and won his age group.
Half Marathon: Malcolm Hodge was 2nd in 1:13:43, Dan Robertson 1.43.14
10km: Ian Morton was 4th in 10k walk in 1.09.44
South Island Ultra 100km
Jim Jones ran from Greymouth to Hokitika, on the Wilderness Trail, a bike track. He got 7th overall in 10:10:23 and first M50.
6km Chocolate Walk
Daphne Jones, 47:46, was 2nd closest to her estimated time – only 7 seconds off. Also competing were Helen Willis 49:24, Ray Marten 48:58, Terri Grimmett 40:46, Peter Baillie 41:35, and Bob Gardner 45:22 – two-and-a-half minutes faster than his estimate.
A record number of teams took part in the Uni Relay. The senior men and M35s won their races comprehensively. Maeve O’Regan-Smith ran a gutsy last lap to help the senior women hold on to 2nd. The masters men’s B and C teams had a close tussle – resolved by a big last lap from Stephen Bass.
Vosseler Shield, 22 May
The Vosseler Shield is a challenging Wellington cross-country interclub event, steeped in tradition, and steeped in steep hills. It runs over the Mt Victoria reserve and is hosted by Wellington Harrier Athletic Club.
To run in this race you must have joined us by 20 May. However, to have your personalised season bib available, you must be a member by 16 May. Anyone who joins between 16 and 20 May will be assigned a temporary bib.
Masters Cross Country Relay, 23 May
Based at the Trentham Club Rooms in Upper Hutt. This cross-country race takes place over mixed terrain. Starting and finishing on footpaths, the bulk of the race takes place across grass and mud, with a detour through Bartons Bush.
Walkers race in teams of three, runners in teams of four. Everyone completes the same 4km loop.
Dorne Cup, 12 June
The Dorne Cup is a mostly flat and fast cross-country race at Trentham Memorial Park. It includes some small jumps and stream crossings.
Hutt Valley Harriers organise the race and it is one of the most prestigious and well attended cross-country races in the country.
Wellington Marathon, 27 June
Wellington Marathon starts Sky Stadium and winds around Wellington’s waterfront.
Events include a Full Marathon, Half Marathon, 10km and the Kids’ Magic Mile.
If you are entering the 10km or half marathon, make sure you join the Scottish team and help us compete for the team title.
Wellington Half Marathon 27 June: Request for pacers
Each year Scottish provides pacers for the Wellington Half marathon. If you would like to help, please email Todd with your pace time preference. Pacing is very much appreciated by the participants, and an enjoyable and rewarding experience for the pacer.
Welcome to new members Genevieve Coffey and Emerson Cunningham.
Remember to join us too. Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
College Cross Country Relays, Karori Park, 12 May
Don Dalgliesh is organising the College Cross Country Relays at Karori Park on 12 May on behalf of Wellington Scottish. He will be there setting up from about 11am and the races start at 1.30pm and finish just after 2.30pm. He needs help with setting up and taking down the course markings before and after the relays, but also with marshalling and recording during the races. If you can help, please email him.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.