Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is a pyramid involving 500m efforts at 5km pace, 1km efforts at 10km pace and 1.5km efforts at half pace. See website for details.
- Saturday 8.00am, Rotorua Marathon (including NZ Masters Championship)
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 12 noon, Chocolate Walk, Mackays Crossing, QE2 Park Paekākāriki. Details on website.
- Saturday 1.15pm and 2pm, University Relay and kids’ races, QE2 Park, Paekākāriki. Details on website.
- Sunday 9.00am, Athletics Wellington Kids Cross Country, Trentham Memorial Park
- Sunday long pack runs — usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Shaw Baton Relays
The first relay of the season and victory to our senior men (with 4 of the 6 fastest times), M50s (with a big come-from-behind final lap from Todd Stevens), under 16 men (beating a strong Olympic team), W35s (their usual dominant selves), and U12 mixed team A (excellent team effort). Great to see 23 teams out there- nearly 100 runners, plus a few more in the under 10s race.
- Relay results
- Under 10 results
- Rowan’s photos
- Sharon’s photos:
Three Peaks 1
The first 3 peaks event for 2021 saw participants tackle Tawatawa, Te Raekaihau lookout, and Matairangi. By the sounds of it, there were varying levels of scenic-ness in the route choices, with distances ranging from just under 18km to over 23km. For Scottish, the fastest runners were James Richardson in 1:35, and Tanya Lavington in 2:35. The next event is on 30 May, starting from Anderson Park, and tackles Karori’s finest hills.
Xterra Wainui Starlight
Long Course: Walter Somerville won the long course race again in In the short course in 57.32. Alistair Collow 1.17.42, Kath Littler 1.45.33, Marketa Langova 1.45.35,
Short Course: Fiona Hayvice was out sprinted by Spike (again!) in the final 100m. Spike cut 11.5mins off his 2019 time, finishing in 42.03 and 8th overall.
A few results I missed
New club member Julian Matthew finished the Xterra Orongorongo long race in 2:23:38, 10th in his category and 44th overall. He was also 3rd in the Skyline Challenge on 24 April, in the 32km trail run category. And last, he completed the T42 Tongariro Trail Marathon this weekend with a time of 4:25:45.
University Relay, 8 May
Teams of four race in 3.7 km each over soft, sandy cross-country and farmland. VUW Athletic Club hosts the University Relay, and it takes place on Queen Elizabeth II Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki. If you want to be in a team, let our club captains Danielle and Ben know.
Vosseler Shield, 22 May
The Vosseler Shield is a challenging Wellington cross-country interclub event, steeped in tradition, and steeped in steep hills. It is run over the Mt Victoria reserve and hosted by Wellington Harrier Athletic Club. (It should probably be called the Barry Everitt Plate because that goes to the club that scores the highest number of points over all grades. Whereas the Vosseler Shield goes to the winning senior men’s team.)
Masters Cross Country Relay, 23 May
Based at the Trentham Club Rooms in Upper Hutt. This cross-country race takes place over mixed terrain. Starting and finishing on footpaths, the bulk of the race takes place across grass and mud, with a detour through Bartons Bush.
Walkers race in teams of three, runners in teams of four. Everyone completes the same 4km loop.
Welcome to new members John Grey, Gareth Brazier, Peter Shaw, Karl Rudge, Maree O’Regan, Maeve O’Regan Smith and Tamara Novak.
Remember to join us too! Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
College Cross Country Relays, Karori Park, 12 May
Don Dalgliesh is organising the College Cross Country Relays at Karori Park on 12 May on behalf of WellingtoN Scottish. He will be there setting up from about 11am and the races start at 1.30pm and finish just after 2.30pm. He needs help with setting up and taking down the course markings before and after the relays, but also with marshalling and recording during the races. If you can help, please email him.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.