Michele Allison broke the New Zealand W65 3000m record in Christchurch a fortnight ago.
Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Saturday 6.00am, WAI2K, Tauherenikau Racecourse (and other festival events starting on different days and times see weblink for details)
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 8.20am, Queenstown Marathon, Millbrook Resort
- Saturday 1.30pm, race walk 5000m and high jump, Newtown Park
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
A New Zealand record! – Athletics Canterbury Interclub, 31 October 2020
Michele Allison took 46 seconds off the NZ W65 3000m record by running 12:43.61.
Central League Track and Field Meet, Whanganui
An impressive display from our junior men in the 800m, with Jamie Barnes 2nd in the fast heat in 1:59.33 and Alex Martin 4th in 1:59.86, Josh Hagen 2nd in the next heat in 2:07.17, and Luke Grover 3rd in 2:07.48, and James Hercus won the 3rd heat in 2:11.88.
Also, Amy Walker 400m 1:00.43, Maeve O’Regan Smith 1500m 5:14.58, James Hercus 1500m 4:23.42, Finlay Hagen 1500m 4:36.00, Michael Wray 1500m 4:48.69, 800m 2:24.56 and 5000m 20:04.95, Stephen Day 5000m 16:13.46.
Remutaka Rail Trail Run & Walk
Alistair Richardson 2nd in 1:22:37, Anna Guy 6th overall and 1st W50 in 1:46:00.
Twilight Track Meet No 1
Most club members opted for the 3000m: Malcolm Hodge 8:48.35, Alistair Richardson 9:11.13, Alasdair Saunders 9:37.40, Grant McLean 9:44.94, Dion Gamperle 10:23.93, Neil Lynch 10:28.73 and Jaime Vessiot 12:55.72.
And other results were: Amy Walker 100m 13.42, 200m 27.87, Naomi Richardson 200m 42.92 and 800m 3:30.37, Rowan Richardson 200m 55.90, Harry McLean 800m 2:09.36, Neil Lynch 800m 2:24.22.
NZ 24 Hour Championships
Unfortunately a knee injury meant Mel Aitken had to stop after about 100 laps (!).
Xterra West Wind
Last of the Xterra races this weekend – impressive that Xterra managed to squash its whole season into a shortened year. Walter Somerville won the short course race. Spike Hayvice was 11th and 1st under 16-year-old again, and again he sprinted past Fiona Hayvice when the finish line came into sight.
On the medium course were Andy John, Hayden Smith, Karen Jenkinson 9winning her age group) and Loretta Desourdy.
And, on the long course: Mike Cousins, Rob Tomkies, Stephen Clarke (who had a busy week with 3 races!) Marketa Langova, Willie Stephens, Don Stevens and Kath Littler.
2000 Metres Race Walk
Sean Lake 10:54.72, Daphne Jones 14:16.33 and Ray Marten 14:41.08
Corporate Challenge 5km
Alistair Collow 20.07, Peter Murmu 23.00, Stephen Clarke 24.47
Junior interclub No 2
Juliet Street 60m 12.41, 100m 20.56, 200m 45.19 long jump 2.43, shot put 4.62, discus 6.40. Naomi Richardson, 60m 11.09, 100m 18.76, 200m 38.82, long jump 2.69m, shot put 3.84, discus 6.80m. Charlotte Masters 100m 14.98. Jess Haldane 100m 14.54, shot put 6.60m. Wellington Scottish Mixed A 4x100m relay 2nd place in 1.26.75. Ben Brunner 1500m 4.47.64. Torben Fear 1500m 5.13.39, high jump 1.35m.
Waterfront 5km PBs to Lucas Duross, Liam Jones, Murtesa Hassen, Stephen Clarke, Luke Ferguson and Kath Littler.
The Agency Group 10000 Festival
Saturday 5 December, Newtown Park, Wellington
- 4.45 pm – 10,000m B race, with a 60 min pacer Peter Murmu, 50 min pacer Danielle Trewoon, 46.30 min pacer Gerard Gordon, 45 min pacer Amanda Broughton and 40 min pacers Paul Hewitson and Brad Wong.
- 6.00 pm – 10,000m A race, with a 38-minute pacer Paul Barwick, and 35-minute pacer Matthew Moloney.
- 7.00 pm – 10,000m The Agency Group race, with 32-minute pacer Evan Cooper, 30-minute pacer Sam Tanner and 29-minute pacer Hayden Wilde.
We have about 80 entries so far – an impressive number! – but we would really like a few more to fill out the races. So, even if you don’t want to race, consider entering and tempoing to support our clubmates by giving them a big pack to run with.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 11 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges. Free for Scottish members and member of other clubs affiliated to Athletics Wellington that pay the summer track levy. Entry is also free to athletes from Wellington College, St Pat’s town, St Pat’s Silverstream and Rongotai.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
If your athlete wants to take part in the 2020-21 Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the series.
Link for the Interclub season entry
Athlete entries must be completed by 11:59pm on the Wednesday prior to an Interclub meet.
The Scottish club administrator is Michael Wray. He can help with password re-sets or queries or even put through the entry for anyone who finds the entry system difficult.
Central League Meetings
There is one remaining Central League Track and Field Meeting at Masterton, on 28 November. League meetings have a fixed programme, starting at 12 noon and finishing around 4pm. When you attend, see Don Dalgliesh to get your number and pay $5. Then decide which event(s) you want to do and just turn up at the starting point just before the time listed in the programme.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Welcome to new members Tom Simcock, Penny Kirkwood, Charlotte masters, Nigel Heeney, Torben Fear, Niamh Carey, Stephen Clarke, Rebecca Courtney and Adam Bradshaw.
Apologies to Lindsey Young – I missed results from her races two times in a row; the Rotorua half marathon 2:12:58 and the Lochmara half marathon 2:44:53. If anyone has any results to share with the Scottish whanau – either yours or someone else’s – don’t be whakamā. Send them to me before Monday evening so we can all celebrate your achieves.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here