Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Twilight Track Series, Newtown Park. We need volunteers on the night. See details below.
- Wednesday 6.30pm, Corporate 5km Challenge, Waitangi Park
- Saturday 8.00am, Remutaka Rail Trail Run & Walk, 21km – 14km – 7km, Kaitoke Kart Track, Incline Rd, just off Kaitoke Loop Rd and SH2, Upper Hutt
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 9.00am, NZ 24 Hour Championships, Auckland
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday 9.00am, Xterra West Wind, Meridian Wind Farm, Makara. Xterra is offering a reduced entry fee short course only, for adults ($20), as long as the adult enters with a youth using code XTERRACrewWW
- Sunday 10.00am, Junior Interclub No 2, Newtown Park
NZ Road Championships
Phil Sadgrove (M60, 39.03), Peter Stevens (M55, 36.15), and Geoff Ferry (M35, 33.57) won gold medals and Grant McLean (M50, 35.09) won silver in a very impressive time on a slow course. Ayesha Shafi 6th senior woman in 42.30, Niam Macdonald 8th senior man in 33.37, Andrew Kerr 5th M45 in 36.28, Simon Keller 8th M45 in 38.32, and Michael Wray 5th M50 in 38.42.
Sean Lake was 2nd SM in the 20km walk in 2:19:47.
- NZ Road Champs 2020 – Juniors/ SM & SW plus podium
- NZ Road Champs 2020 – U14B/U14G/MM
- NZ Road Champs 2020
Track and Field Series – meet #2
Amy Walker ran 13.41 for 100m and 27.06 for 200m. Maeve O’Regan Smith ran 3.18.78 for 1000m. Hiro Tanimoto (six days after his Auckland Marathon sprint finish) ran 14.36 for 100m, 28.35 for 200m, and 2.41.88 for 1000m. Luke Grover ran 2.45.89 for 1000m and Stephen Day ran 2.57.73 for 1000m. Peter Baillie recorded 10.02.39 for the 1600m walk.
Lochmara Half marathon
Malcolm Kerr 1:49:24, Emma Sturmfels 2:29:29, Michelle Knight (walk) 3:02:34.
What was going on down at the Waterfront on Tuesday? – everyone was runing fast! Waterfront 5km PBs to Paul Barwick, Geoff Ferry, Walter Somerville, Liam Jones, Sam Cathro, Neil Lynch, Murtesa Hassen, Dan Rakic, Nicholas Vessiot, Danielle Trewoon, Kasey Mackinnon and Kath Littler.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 11 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges. Free for Scottish members and member of other clubs affiliated to Athletics Wellington that pay the summer track levy. Entry is also free to athletes from Wellington College, St Pat’s town, St Pat’s Silverstream and Rongotai.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
We need volunteers to help our on the night with the following roles – Starter (full training provided), Starters assistant, Entry coordinator, Finish area (x2 or 3). Please contact Andy if you can help.
If you want to race please fill in a short pre-entry form for the season. This will save us time and effort on the night, and make things go more smoothly. We can still take entries on the night, but it will help to have runners enter online in advance for the season.
You can enter entering online, up to midday on the day of the first event they attend (this only needs to be done once for the entire season).
The Agency Group 10000 Festival
Saturday 5 December, Newtown Park, Wellington
- 4.45 pm – 10,000m B race, with a 50 min pacer Danielle Trewoon, 46.30 min pacer Gerard Gordon, 45 min pacer Amanda Broughton and 40 min pacers Paul Hewitson and Brad Wong.
- 6.00 pm – 10,000m A race, with a 37.30-minute pacer Paul Barwick, and 35-minute pacer Andrew Wharton.
- 7.00 pm – 10,000m The Agency Group race, with 32-minute pacer Evan Cooper, 30-minute pacer Sam Tanner and 29-minute pacer Hayden Wilde.
Races are open to both men and women of all age grades. The races are mixed, so please indicate which race you want to run based on your goal time/pace. If you have any other time that you would like us to find a pacer for let us know – if there are several who all want the same or similar time we will try to support you with good pacing.
If you don’t want to race please consider being a pacer to support your club mates and/or being a lap counter for a couple of runners.
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last two years, the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
WAI2K, 20 November
The WAI2K is a Wairarapa adventure race from the organisers of WUU2K. They describe it as a tough endurance event over a mixed terrain course. There are rivers to cross, river beds to run, some fairly dense scrub to run through in places, hills, steep technical downhills in parts, and many trails to explore.
Younger members may be interested in the WAITRI Kids Triathlon, which includes biking, running and paintball shooting. It’s currently the only multisport event in the world that involves paintball. (?)
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
If your athlete wants to take part in the 2020-21 Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the series.
Athlete entries must be completed by 11:59pm on the Wednesday prior to an Interclub meet.
The Scottish club administrator is Michael Wray. He can help with password re-sets or queries or even put through the entry for anyone who finds the entry system difficult.
Central League Meetings
The 2 remaining Central League Track and Field Meetings this year are Wanganui, on 14 November and Masterton, on 28 November. League meetings have a fixed programme, starting at 12 noon and finishing around 4pm. When you attend any of these meetings, see Don Dalgliesh to get your number and pay $5. Then decide which event(s) you want to do and just turn up at the starting point just before the time listed in the programme. If grading is needed for an event, this will be done on the start line, and is by ability, not by age group. You can do more than one event. The programme covers all track events from 100m to 5000m and all field events. We are supposed to supply 2 officials to help with the running of the meeting each time, so you may get asked to give a hand at sometime during the meeting, if they are short of officials in a particular event.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here