Happy Labour Day everyone.
Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm, Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 12.00 noon, Central League Track and Field Meet, Hastings
- Sunday 6.00am, Auckland Marathon, Devonport
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday 9.00am, WCM Andy McNeill Memorial Run, George Denton Park, Highbury.
- Sunday 9.00am, Xterra McKerrow’s Revenge, Wainuiomata Athletics Club.
- Sunday 10.00am, Junior Interclub, Newtown Park – see details below.
Newtown Park Track and Field
In the 3000m walk were Sean Lake 17.32.63, Peter Baillie 20:06.03, Arlene Wong-Tung 21:20.26, Daphne Jones 21:51.55 and John Hines 25:18.43.
In the 400m Amy Walker ran 1:00.07 for second. In the 800m Heather Walker ran 2:32.07 and Stephen Day ran 2.22.13.
Lots of fast times this week including Waterfront PBs to Murtesa Hassen, Luke Norman, Phil Sadgrove, Nicholas Bagnall, Dan Rakic, Sam Turner, Luke Ferguson, Nina Maurer (winning the race) Sophie Whelan and Jaime Vessiot.
Junior Interclub, 1 November
The first Junior meet is Sunday 1 November so anyone whose child is competing in that needs to have entered by Wednesday evening.
For the 2020/21 season, Athletics Wellington will again use an entry system for entering children into the Junior Interclub series.
If your athlete wants to take part in the 2020-21 Junior Interclub meets, you must complete a simple “one-time-only” season registration to enter the six meets in the series.
Please login using the email address you used to sign up to join the club or renew membership, and follow the simple instructions. If you have had multiple email addresses and cannot recall which email address is associated with your athlete in our membership database, please contact your club administrator. They can either confirm the email address that is registered, or change it for you, if it is no longer appropriate.
If you have forgotten your password, there is a password reset function. However, experience last season showed that the response to the password reset request may be very slow – perhaps several hours. If this occurs in your case, please be patient. We regret that this is outside of our direct control. If you are not able to overcome password problems, please contact your club administrator who may be able to reset your password for you.
During the entry process you will be asked to select an event. Only the 100m is shown. This is just a “dummy” to get your registration processed. Please select the 100m option and proceed. Your athlete will still have access to all the normal interclub event options.
Athlete entries must be completed by 11:59pm on the Wednesday prior to an Interclub meet.
- Note 1: You enter only once for the entire season of six interclub meets. Please do not enter more than once during the season, because this causes us difficulties and extra work
- Note 2: There will be a separate entry system for the Junior Championships, later in the season For queries, please contact your club administrator.
The Scottish club administrator is Michael Wray. He can help with password re-sets or queries or even put through the entry for anyone who finds the entry system difficult.
Central League Meetings
The 3 Central League Track and Field Meetings this year are Hastings, on 31 October 31, Wanganui, on 14 November and Masterton, on 28 November.
Any club member who wants to participate in any of these meetings needs to email Don Dalgleish with their name and date of birth by Tuesday 27 October.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 11 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
Apologies for publishing the wrong start date for these events last week.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
The Agency Group 10000 Festival
Saturday 5 December, Newtown Park, Wellington
- 4.45 pm – 10,000m B race, with a 50-minute pacer, 45 min pacer and 40-minute pacer.
- 6.00 pm – 10,000m A race, with a 37.30-minute pacer, and 35-minute pacer Andrew Wharton.
- 7.00 pm – 10,000m The Agency Group race, with 32-minute pacer Evan Cooper, 30-minute pacer Sam Tanner and 29-minute pacer Hayden Wilde.
Races are open to both men and women of all age grades. The races are mixed, so please indicate which race you want to run based on your goal time/pace. If you have any other time that you would like us to find a pacer for let us know – if there are several who all want the same or similar time we will try to support you with good pacing.
If you don’t want to race please consider being a pacer to support your club mates and/or being a lap counter for a couple of runners.
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last two years, the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Welcome to new member Carlo Rojas.
For anyone heading to the clubrooms, the contractors have re-opened the section of Salisbury Terrace that runs along the side of the lower Prince of Wales park. They will need to close the road again for one day in approximately two weeks.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here
If you have an athlete aged 7 to 14 years who would like to take part in the 2021 Colgate Games, please contact your club. Clubs now have all the information about the event and the entry process. Club entries must be sent to Athletics New Zealand well before the end of November, so don’t leave it too late.