The Waterfront 5k is back! the first race of the season starts at 5:45pm near Mac’s Brewery. Registration is now online only. We will be looking for volunteers throughout the season, so if you are keen to help out and are not a regular user of the club’s Facebook page, please email Hayden and he will add you to a mailing list for the weekly details.
- Tuesday 5.45 pm, Waterfront 5km, Macs Brewbar
- Wednesday 6.00 pm, track session with Andy, Alice and Rowan, Newtown Park.
- Saturday 8.30 am, speed sessions at the track. Newtown Park. Contact our club captains, Emma and Bert, or check Facebook for details.
- Saturday 2.00 pm, Summer Saturday afternoon run and walks for those who prefer a slower pace. Meet at Raiha St near Camp Elsdon in Porirua. We expect to be out for about an hour or so. For those interested in where we will be going, here is a description of the Te Ara Utiwai trail.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave at 8.30 am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains, Emma and Bert, or check Facebook for details.
- For other runs this week — check out the Facebook group for details
Prizegiving for 2022
Hutt River Trail Events
Mal Kerr won the marathon win and Nicholas Bagnall won the 60km Ultra. Nicholas won the adoration of his M50 teammates for beating ultrarunning legend and M50 nemesis Paul Hewitson.
Results will be published here
Liam Jones 35:09, Dion Gamperie 35:11, Ben Twyman 35:21, Lindsay Barwick 38:34, Guy Dryden 42.15, Frank Grieve 44.43, John Gardiner 57.51.
Support Hannah Millar to get to the World Cross Country Championships
The Wellington Scottish Supporters Trust’s broad objective is to financially assist our younger and top-performing members to ensure they can compete at National events and where funds permit international ones as well. The trust is funded by donations, and these have been especially welcomed by the Athletes that have been supported over the past 15 years.
Hannah Millar, who joined Scottish at the start of the season, has had a fantastic 2022, winning national titles over the road, half marathon, marathon and more recently, the NZ 10,000m champs on the track at Newtown. We are not sure if this has been achieved by any other NZ Athlete. Hannah has most recently been selected to represent NZ at the World Cross Country Championships (the pinnacle of our winter sport) at Bathurst in Australia in February 2023. Unfortunately, Athletics New Zealand provides no assistance to team members, so runners need to self-fund the full cost of the trip.
If you would like to assist in helping Hannah to follow in the footsteps of Melissa Moon or to make a broader contribution to the trust, then your donation would be most welcome. Payment can be made into our Kiwibank account 389006 0470186 00. Please make sure you place your name in the reference field so that we can issue an official donation receipt which will qualify you for a tax rebate. Thanks.
If you would like more about the trust or how you can assist, you can contact one of the Trustees, Sharon Wray, Glen Wallis (0274 302049) or James Turner
Athletics Wellington award nominations
The annual Athletics Wellington awards ceremony is on 5 April.
Follow this link https://forms.gle/coeBABwYxVbw3dAM8 to put your nominations in for athlete and/or community awards.
- Nomination period from 1 January to 31 December 2022
- Nomination entries close on 29 January 2023
Twilight Track Meets
Scottish is organising twilight track meetings over the course of the summer. These are fun, low-key events, open to anyone who wants to try out track racing or sharpen up for other events — it would be great to see a good Scottish turnout to support the event.
Without volunteers, these events do not happen — Andy Ford is looking for help on the night with jobs including a starter (training provided!) and finish recorder. Let Andy know if you can help at any of the events.
The next Twilight Track meet is on 8 February. It includes a 3000m and a 1500m race.
Jumbo Holdsworth Mountain Races and Hooper Loop, 28 January
These mountain endurance runs in the Tararua Forest Park encompass the Jumbo-Mt Holdsworth circuit near Carterton.
Capital Classic, 3 February
World Athletics Challenger Meet includes the 2023 New Zealand Senior 3000m Championships. See many of NZ’s top athletes compete.
Athletics Wellington Track and Field Championships, 18-19 February
Wellington Round the Bays, 19 February
Wellington Round the Bays is the largest mass participation event in the lower North Island and the third-largest in New Zealand. This iconic community event has been going strong for 45 years. Enter the 5.5km, 10km or half marathon. Wear your yellow to promote the club, and when you sign up, don’t forget to register as part of the ‘Wellington Scottish Athletics Club’ team.
XTERRA Wellington Festival, 25 February
Keep in touch
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains, Emma and Bert, our coaching coordinators, Jaime and Nico Vessiot, and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.