- Tuesday 6.00 pm, speed session with Alice, Rowan and Andy, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 2km reps at 10km pace.
- Friday 12.27 pm, Kupe Run, a chatty pre-weekend run from the Kupe statue on the waterfront.
- Saturday 8.00 am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Emma and Bert for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00 am warm-up for an 8.30 am start. All speeds and interests are welcome.
- Saturday 2.00 pm, the first of our friendly club pack runs, leaving from our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park, Mt Cook.
- Sunday, 8:00 am, Aurora Handicap Marathon, Pinehaven School Upper Hutt.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30 am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Emma and Bert for info, or check Facebook for details.
Meeting Iberoamericano de Atletismo Huelva, Spain
Hamish Carson ran a new 5000m personal best, and the 6th fastest time ever by a New Zealander, of 13:17:27.
Lake Somona 100 mile race, California
Dan Jones won this ultra marathon in 9:59:58.
Wairarapa Track and Field Winter Series
Ben Brunner ran a 9:10.22 PB to win the 3000m.
Vosseler Shield and Barry Everitt Plate
Good conditions and a (comparatively) fast new course meant Vosseler PBs for many of the 69 Scottish members who took part. In the children’s 1.1km race only 2 seconds separated Luca Cunningham, Naomi Richardson and Juliet Street. Heather Walker had an impressive win in the W50 race. Seamus Kane continued his good start to the season with an impressive win in the 10km race. Bert Prendergast, Alistair Richardson, Liam Jones, Ben Bielski, Harry McLean and Simon Keller had a good tussle all finishing within a minute of each other. Teams results are not out yet but I think there were wins to the SM, M35s and W35s.
3 Peaks No. 3
What a stunning day for the final 3 peaks of 2022. 18 keen runners tackled our 3 Peaks in the sunshine. There seemed to be a split about which direction (clockwise/anticlockwise) was best, but probably there are no wrong choices with such amazing hills. See you back next year for the next instalment, next year.
Dorne Cup, 11 June
The second big interclub race of the season is the Dorne Cup in Trentham. This is a mostly flat grassy cross country race run at Trentham Memorial Park. There are a couple of stopbanks, small jumps and stream crossings on each lap. It is one of the best attended and highly-regarded cross country races in NZ.
Wellington Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km, 18 June
One of the big mass participation events in Wellington winds its way around Wellington’s harbour coastline. Participants from the COVID-cancelled 2020 and 2021 events will be transferred to 2022 automatically. This year the half marathon race is also the Athletics Wellington Half Marathon Championship.
Galashiels Trophy, Novice Cup and Cole Land Cup, 9 July
This is a very popular race for Scottish members. This 4.9k race is run over a variety of terrain, including footpaths/roads, and an uphill bush track.
It is an open handicap race, where runners are assigned a handicap in advance. Slower runners to start first. The race becomes a pursuit, and there is often a large bunch finishing together within only a minute or so. There are two prizes for this race, one for past winners of club trophies (Galashiels), and the other for those who have yet to win one (Novice).
A separate event for race walkers (the Cole Land Cup) is held along the roads to the south. J-teamers have a 2k handicap/scratch race starting just before the 5k event.
Volunteer for WUU2K, 15-17 July
WUU2K weekend is fast approaching, and they are once again in need of many generous volunteers who can help make this an amazing experience. Can you help out?
- registration helpers and course markers on Fri 15 July
- startline helpers, marshals, aid station helpers, TECs, and finish line helpers on Sat 16 July (with a backup rain day this year, on Sun 16 July)
If you’re free and keen (don’t be put off by last year’s weather bomb!) they’d love to hear from you – please share your details and availability at the form here: https://forms.gle/RteP2SihZLjRzjYv5
All volunteers are offered discounted merchandise, and discounted WUU/WAI race entries, and are welcome to come along for some drinks at the Volunteers Party (usually the first Sunday after race weekend at Waitoa Social Club on Victoria St).
Membership levies for 2022-2023
Join the Wellington running and walking club that caters for all abilities and levels. We have membership options to suit your goals. Whether you like to run on roads or prefer trail running we have something for all levels and abilities.
Our standard membership gives runners and walkers the following benefits for a full year:
- Personalised coaching advice for runners of all abilities from one of Wellington Scottish’s qualified and experienced coaches. Our coaches can help you get started in setting a goal and achieving the goal.
- Free entry into the Wellington region’s most iconic interclub running events.
- Friendly club members who will train together with you at your own pace, showing you some of Wellington’s best running routes.
- A guaranteed place in one of the friendly Scottish teams at relay events throughout the year, both in Wellington and for our iconic road relay trip to Akaroa.
- Group speed and technique sessions on the waterfront, at Karori Park and Newtown Athletics Track.
- Free entry to our club races, which are organised during the season, for you to try out competitive running within a friendly, club environment.
- Regular news bulletins with advice, upcoming events and connecting you to local events and other runners.
- Access to our Facebook private discussion group, which connects you to all our club members.
- Membership of Athletics New Zealand.
- Access to Supporters Trust and funding to compete at events if you are an elite athlete.
- Access to our clubrooms. Our recently refurbished clubrooms are conveniently at Prince of Wales Park, Mt Cook, with access to off-road parking.