Dougal Thorburn supplied this week’s photo of the his pre-lockdown Orongorongo adventure on the north saddle of Mt Matthews.
Alert Level news
Due to the differences in the delta variant of COVID-19, the sport guidance under Alert Level 2 will differ from previous advice. SportNZ will issue that advice on its website soon. The COVID-19 Outdoors website also contains useful, accurate information on what you can do.
The coming weeks will include changes. Keep an eye on our Facebook group for the latest news, and information on any events and activities we organise. For instance, the Tuesday evening speed session and the Sunday long runs will only go ahead if we can meet the requirements of Alert Level 2 – such as signing in and social distancing requirements. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Here is what the remainder of the harrier season might look like before summer, track and field and triathlons take over. This assumes some smaller events can take place at Alert Level 2 and larger events at Alert Level 1. The Athletics Wellington Road and Cross Country Committee will meet tomorrow night to confirm which of these events will go ahead and how they will operate.
- Sat 11 Sept onwards – Parkruns (Alert Level 1 only)
- Sat 18 Sept – Wellington Road Champs, Wainuiomata. (This may be possible under Alert Level 2, depending on new restrictions.)
- Sat 25 Sept – Tanadees Cup, Kilbirnie (details to be decided)
- Sat 25 Sept – Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon
- Sun 26 Sept – Hutt Marathon and associated events (Alert Level 1 only)
- Sat 2 Oct – Takahe to Akaroa Road Relay (Only if Alert Level 1 in both Christchurch and Wellington)
- Sun 10 Oct – Wellington Marathon and associated distances (Alert Level 1 only)
- Sat 16 Oct – Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup
- Sun 17 Oct – Honest Ten
- Fri to Sun 5-7 Nov – Aorangi 100, including Aorangi Undulator on 6 Nov.
- Sat 6 Nov – Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, Venue TBC
- Sun 7 Nov – Wairarapa Marathon and associated distances (Alert Level 1 only)
Coming up (provisional on Alert Levels)
Hutt Marathon, Half Marathon, 10km 5km and Kids’ Kilometre, 12 September
A flat and scenic course along both sides of the Hutt River. There are cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in marathon, half and 10km.
Wellington Road Running Champs, 18 September
The Wellington Road Champs is the last of the four big interclub races for the year. It is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km or 10km time with a large pack of runners to pull you along. It is held in the scenic Wainuiomata Recreation Area. The course is an out-and-back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. The course is largely sheltered from the wind.
Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup, 25 September
The Tanadees and Arkwright Cups Race is an 8km handicapped race around the Evans Bay/Balaena Bay waterfront. We meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool then the race starts from the Wind Needle in Kilbirnie. It is a good opportunity for a flat road race to sharpen up before NZ Road Relays.
Victoria University of Wellington Athletics Club members joins us for this race to compete for their Sherwood Cup.
Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon, West Carterton, 25 September
The Belvedere Block Relay and Half Marathon is open to teams of three or individuals – walkers and runners. It takes part on a three lap course over undulating road.
Register for NZ Road Relays trip to Akaroa, 2 October
The subsidised price for NZ Road Relays trip is $140. That includes accommodation, rental van transport in Christchurch, race entry and dinner on Saturday night. That just leaves you to get yourself to Christchurch. There are cheaper rates for supporters, or those who do not need accommodation and/or Saturday night dinner. There will also be an option to purchase premium accommodation for some who want it. For more details contact Alistair Collow or John Gardiner.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.