Let’s celebrate the Olympics with a photo of one of the club’s Olympians – John Henwood.
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 1km at 10km pace, 500m at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Wednesday 6.00pm, Sparkle Fitness strength and conditioning, Club K Gym. Email Sierra for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kāpiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 10.00am, NZ Cross Country Championships, Chisholm Links, Dunedin (Hinano ANdrews, Geoff Ferry, Phil Sadgrove, PEter Stevens, Michael Wray, Loretta DeSourdy, Daniel Jones, Seamus Kane, Ruby Muir,.
- Saturday 2.00pm, friendly club pack runs. Scottish Clubrooms, Prince of Wales Park. Followed by tea and bikkies, and then a trip to the pub for those who want.
- Sunday long pack runs — usually, these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Ben Twyman won the marathon in 2:39:30. Casey Thorby was second in the half marathon in 1:09:36. Chris Wharam was 3rd in a very impressive 1:13:07.
Needle Relay, 14 August
The Needle Relay takes place around a central hub: the Wind Needle, situated on the corner of Cobham Drive and Evans Bay Parade. There are two laps: an out-and-back 5km north to Weka Bay; and an out-and-back 3km east past the main airport roundabout. 3 people in each team do the 5km lap each, and 2 people in each team do the 3km lap. Start contacting your club captains Danielle and Ben now to be part of a team.
Wellington Road Running Champs, 21 August
The Wellington Road Champs is the last of the four big interclub races for the year. It is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km or 10km time with a large pack of runners to pull you along. It is held in the scenic Wainuiomata Recreation Area. The course is an out-and-back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. The course is largely sheltered from the wind.
Details and results from last year’s races
Tanadees Cup and Arkwright Cup, 11 September
The Tanadees and Arkwright Cups Race is an 8km handicapped race around the Evans Bay/Balaena Bay waterfront. We meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool then the race starts from the Wind Needle in Kilbirnie. It is a good opportunity for a flat road race to sharpen up before NZ Road Relays.
Victoria University of Wellington Athletics Club members joins us for this race to compete for their Sherwood Cup.
Register for NZ Road Relays trip to Akaroa
The subsidised price for NZ Road Relays trip is $140. That includes accommodation, rental van transport in Christchurch, race entry and dinner on Saturday night. That just leaves you to get yourself to Christchurch. There are cheaper rates for supporters, or those who do not need accommodation and/or Saturday night dinner. There will also be an option to purchase premium accommodation for some who want it. For more details contact Alistair Collow or John Gardiner.
Trail running movement workshop, 14 August
Rebecca Spiers is running a movement workshop at Bonobo Gym in Lyall Bay on Sat 14 August 10am-4pm.
If you want to pickup some tips that will help you jump over obstacles more easily on trail runs come along to this 1-day movement elements workshop. It’s over half full but a few spots available. Imagine you’re out tramping or trail running and need to jump over a stream, cross over a fallen tree, or traverse a slope too steep to walk upright. With origins in Parkour, MovNat helps you improve your agility for sports or daily life. It’s practical and applied fitness, with real-world applications, and playful!
You’ll come away with knowledge of how to incorporate the movement techniques into an existing fitness routine or daily life, and ways to progress further. You’ll have fun and also get a sweat on!
Book online. Even if you’re not into trail running you can still benefit from this workshop.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.