Options this week
- Tuesday 6.00pm, Speed Session with Andy and Rowan, outside Freyberg Pool. This week’s session is 1km at half marathon pace, 500m at 5km pace. See website for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout — contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Trentham 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 2.00pm, Scottish Mountain Running Champs, Huntleigh Girl Guiding Centre, 44 Silverstream Road, Crofton Downs
- Sunday long pack runs — usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
Back Yard Ultra
Fiona Hayvice finished 7th equal and first woman, at the Backyard Ultra running 167.75km over 26 hours. The winner, Matt Bixley ran for 38 hours.
NZ Mountain Running Championships
Loretta Desourdy won the NZ Masters Women 50+ title in a time of 1:53:35
Long course: Walter Somerville won in 1.41.40, Jonathan Evans 2.15.44, Matthew Brett 2.16.32, Holly Barclay 2.30.26, Tanya Lavington 2.47.54 (3rd W50), Janine Sharma 2.59.39, Marketa Langova 3.04.43, Kath Littler 3.17.10, Sam Turner 3.34.21.
Medium Course: Hayden Smith 1.23.15, Bex Hutchinson won in 1.25.54, Alistair Collow 1.26.02, Malcolm Kerr 1.36.52, Karen Jenkinson 1:52:54, Fiona Macmaster 2.29.52.
Wellington Scottish Mountain Running Champs, 24 April
Wellington Scottish’s very own mountain running champs in the back hills of Crofton Downs. The races come in a variety of distances and heights to suit anyone, but they all involve uphills! Details on the website.
Shaw Baton Relay, 1 May
Teams of four race in 2.1km each of hills, horse jumps, ditches, fences and the spectator-favourite water pit. The Shaw Baton Relay is the first interclub event of the season. Olympic Harriers host it and it takes place at Pauatahanui Battle Hill Farm Park. It’s a fun event. If you want to be in a team, let our club captains Danielle and Ben know.
Three Peaks, 2 May
The first event for the year is “Lookout for the horses and cannon”. The peaks are Te Rauparaha Pouwhenua (Tawatawa), Te Raekaihau (the lookout), Matairangi (Mt Victoria). Open for runners and walkers. The event starts from from Wellington Scottish Clubrooms. Walkers can start at 7:30, Runners from 8-8:30 in groups. Do as many peaks as you want. Route distance ~20kms.
University Relay, 8 May
Teams of four race in 3.7 km each over soft, sandy cross-country and farmland. VUW Athletic Club hosts the University Relay, and it takes place on Queen Elizabeth II Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki. If you want to be in a team, let our club captains Danielle and Ben know.
Remember to join us! Renew your membership or join online for the 2021-2022 year.
Apologies to Hayden Smith, who I am constantly misreporting in the results section of these newsletters. Unfortunately for him, there is another Hayden Smith on the Wellington running scene, causing chaos and confusion. If you want the real oil on Hayden, you are best to ask him yourself rather than rely on this faulty publication. Likewise, if I am likely to forget or misreport any other results or news, please send them in to me.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything, then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.