Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm. Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Saturday, 8.00am. Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 1.30pm. 3000m race walk, Newtown Park
- Saturday 2.00pm. Sprints, hurdles and 800m, Newtown Park
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup
Well done to Tanya Lavington (Ladies Open Handicap Cup) and Oliver Mclean (Baudinet Cup) for their wins and trophies. Congratulations to Hamish Carson for breaking Steve Hunt’s long-standing course record – the race has been run on that course since 1985 and the record had previously stood since 1988. And thanks to everyone who ran, helped or supported. We had well over 100 people running, officiating and supporting.
NZ Trail Running Championships
Mel Aitken was 3rd at the NZ Trail Running Championships at Crater Rim in Christchurch.
Xterra – The Woolshed
The following Scottish runners were spotted at the Xterra Woolshed at Belmont Regional Park. Short course: Karen Jenkinson. Medium course: Hayden Smith, Alistair Collow and Keren Dravitzki. Long course: Walter Somerville, Carla Dennehy (1st woman), Rob Tomkies, Marketa Langova and Kath Littler. Kath decided to do the ‘extra long’ course, and ran up an additional hill.
World Backyard Ultra Championship (Riverhead ReLaps)
Fiona Hayvice completed 31 laps / hours of the World Backyard Championship, to finish as the 3rd Kiwi. The NZ Backyard Ultra (Riverhead ReLaps) record is now 35 hours. Fiona achieved 31 hours breaking the record of 30 hours previously held by Katie Wright. The race is still going – As I type the remaining runners have now been going for 41 hours.
Waterfront PBs to Tom Sawyer, Malcolm Kerr, Neil Lynch, Murtesa Hassen, Sophie Whelan, Kath Littler (again), Megan Ferry (again).
Central League Meetings
The 3 Central League Track and Field Meetings this year are Hastings, on 31 October 31, Wanganui, on 14 November and Masterton, on 28 November.
Any club member who wants to participate in any of these meetings needs to email Don Dalgleish with their name and date of birth by Tuesday 27 October.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 18 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
The Agency Group 10000 Festival
Saturday 5 December, Newtown Park, Wellington
- 4.45 pm – 10,000m B race, with a 50-minute pacer, 45 min pacer and 40-minute pacer.
- 6.00 pm – 10,000m A race, with a 37.30-minute pacer, and 35-minute pacer.
- 7.00 pm – 10,000m The Agency Group race, with 32-minute pacer Evan Cooper, 30-minute pacer Sam Tanner and 29-minute pacer Hayden Wilde.
Races are open to both men and women of all age grades. The races are mixed, so please indicate which race you want to run based on your goal time/pace. If you have any other time that you would like us to find a pacer for let us know – if there are several who all want the same or similar time we will try to support you with good pacing.
If you don’t want to race please consider being a pacer to support your club mates and/or being a lap counter for a couple of runners.
The Agency Group 10000m is the most popular 10000m race in New Zealand. For the last two years, the Agency Group 10000m has been a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. We even had a world record! This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Welcome to new members Nigel Heeney, Gus Tulloch and Benjamin Brunner.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here