Options this week
- Tuesday 5.45pm. Waterfront 5km, Registration from 5pm outside Macs Brewbar, Taranaki Wharf
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Friday 6pm. The Hunter Relay, Tim Beaglehole Courtyard, Kelburn Campus.
- Saturday, 8.00am. Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 1.30pm. The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup, St Timothy’s Church Titahi Bay.
- Sunday 7.15am. NZ Trail Running Championships, Christchurch
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sunday 10.00am. Xterra – The Woolshed, Belmont Regional Park at the Stratton St Entrance.
Wairarapa Country Marathon – Wellington Marathon and Half Marathon Championships
Marathon: Matthew Moloney 2:34:46 PB and Ruby Muir 2:46:21 PB won the marathon. Geoff Ferry 2:44:06 PB was 3rd overall and 2nd Wellingtonian. Kristian Day 2.46.21 was 3rd Wellingtonian. Ben Twyman also finished in 2.49.
Half Marathon: Niam Macdonald 1:11:27 won the half marathon and Alasdair Saunders 1:15:54 PB was 3rd. Mel Aitken 1:22:41 won the half marathon with Mel Stevens 1:23:20 PB in 2nd and Lindsay Barwick 1:34:13 in 3rd. Also, Paul Barwick 1.16 was 3rd M35, Steve Bass 1.19 – a big PB, Andrew Kerr 1.19, Andy Ford 1.22 and Daryl Bloomfield 2.09.
10km: Matt Bonner 37:29 won the 10km. Steve Aitken was first M60 in 48.25.
Dougal Thorburn was the fastest munter in 2:42, James Richardson was 2nd veteran, in 2.52. Walter Somerville ran a round 3.00, Matthew Brett 3.21, and Jamie White 3.49 were also good munters.
Waterfront PBs to Willie Stephens and Megan Ferry in the first Waterfront 5km of the season.
Waterfront 5km Series, Tuesdays from 6 October
The Wellington Scottish Waterfront 5km continues throughout the summer. It will be on the same course as last year. As with last year, we hope for volunteers from each grade to help with registration and marshalling.
Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup, 17 October
The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. While Bernie was a staunch Scottish member, she trained with and supported many members from other clubs. The overall winner on handicap will hold the Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy for a year.
Scottish members also compete on handicap for the Baudinet Cup and Ladies Open Handicap Cup.
We assemble at St Timothy’s Presbyterian Church, 16 Te Pene Ave, Titahi Bay from about 1:30pm.
The walkers will gather earlier and set off at 1.30pm to have a pack walk/social walk around the course.
Post-race we return to the church hall for an afternoon tea and prize-giving.
The race starts at 2:05pm on the beach in front of the surf club at Titahi Bay.
Wellington Scottish Twilight Track Meets, fortnightly from 18 November
A series of fortnightly track meets for Wellington clubs and colleges.
Each meet will include two sprints and two middle distance races. There will be suitable time gaps so athletes can do both sprints or both middle distance if they want.
Ballantyne Cup and Shirley Barton Trophy, 28 November
The Ballantyne Cup (men) and Shirley Barton Trophy (women) are the club’s most long-standing and arguably most prestigious Scottish trophies.
The race starts in Petone. The 10-mile race goes up the east side of the Hutt riverbank path before crossing at the Fairway Drive Bridge in Avalon and returning down the west riverbank. The 5-mile race takes the same path but crosses at the earlier Ewan Bridge in Lower Hutt.
Welcome to new members Katie Smith, Jesse Di Benedetto and Liam Dooley.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here