Wellington Road Running and Road Walking Championships will go ahead this weekend under Alert Level 2 rules. See below for details.
Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 2km at half marathon pace, 2 x 1km at 10km pace, 2 x 500m at 5km pace. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday 8.30am, Wellington Road Walking Championships, Twin Lakes Access Road at Te Marua, Upper Hutt
- Saturday 10.30am onwards, Wellington Road Running Championships, Reservoir Road, Wainuiomata. See below for details
- Sunday 7:30am, 3 Peaks – The Fenceline, Anderson Park Cricket Club Rooms. The peaks are Wright’s Hill (Lookout), Hawkins Hill (aka Golf Ball) and Brooklyn Wind Turbine. See below for details.
- Sunday, Tip Track Marathon, deferred to 5 December.
There were lots of Scottish runners at the first Xterra of the year yesterday (Red Rocks). On the short course Hayden Smith won and Spike Hayvice was the first U16. Also taking part were Fiona Hayvice, Karen Jenkinson and Kahurangi Graham. Andy John ran the medium course and Walter Somerville Jamie White, Alistair Collow, John Gardiner, Kath Littler and Marketa Langova all ran the long course.
Wellington Road Running Championships, 19 September
The Road Running Championships will go ahead at Alert Level 2.
The schedule is:
- 10.30am, 10k (for 40min+ runners)
- 12.30pm, 5k (W50+, M60+, U20, U18, U16)
- 1.45pm, 2.5k (U14, U12, U10)
- 2.45pm, 10k (for sub 40min runners)
Athletes will need to enter online by Thursday, so Athletics Wellington has their contact details for tracing purposes and so it can manage the 100 limit per race. No spectators are allowed. There will be no club tent and the races will be spaced out into separate events to keep race bubbles within gathering limits. You can only go to the course 30 minutes before your race and you must leave the course after your race.
- Enter online by Thursday
- Full details of the Wellington Road Championships including start times for each age grade
Wellington Road Walking Championships, 19 September
The Race Walking Championships take pace an the Twin Lakes Access Road at Te Marua, Upper Hutt. There are championship A-Grade and non-championship B-Grade races.
3 Peaks Event 3 – The Fence Line, 20 September
The final edition of 3 Peaks 2020 is on 20 September (Sunday). This time we are starting from Anderson Park Cricket Club Rooms (near the Gardens). The peaks are Wright’s Hill (Lookout), Hawkins Hill (a.k.a. Golf Ball) and Brooklyn Wind Turbine.
Proceeds go towards Wellington City Mission.
Our long time supporter Gareth Thomas of Wellington Urban Ultra is organising the brand new WAI Run Fest in the Wairarapa.
If you have been a participant across all three events of the 3 Peaks series we are giving away an entry to either the 43km or the 61km ultra marathon of the WAI Run Fest after our last event. Thanks to Gareth and the organising team of WAI Run Fest.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
The road trip to NZ Road Relays will take place 2-4 October 2020. We will stay in Palmerston North and race around Feilding.
Please fill out this registration form to let us know you plan to join us. The all-inclusive cost of the trip is $250. There are different prices for supporters, people who have their own accommodation and/or are not attending dinner.
The total price includes a large subsidy from club funds. The trip includes race entry, return transport from Wellington, good quality accommodation in Palmerston North on Friday and Saturday night, transport around the course on race day, and a buffet dinner on Saturday night.
Three relay tasks:
- Complete the registration form
- Pay $250 to the club 38-9005-0501833-00. Put NZRR and your name in the reference and particulars. If money is an issue please talk confidentially to your team captain or president Michael Wray. We might not be able to do anything, but we do want to know in case we can help.
- Check to make sure your teammates and friends have registered.
Welcome to new members Leif Schaefer and Sam Coster.
Our 2020 membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here