Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 500m reps at 10km pace, 1.5/2km reps at 10km pace, 500m reps at 5km pace. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday 7:45am, Team NZ runs IAU 6H Virtual Global Solidarity Run. See details below.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday Parkruns are cancelled.
- Saturday 2:00pm, club packruns, Wellington Scottish Clubrooms, friendly training packs for all walkers and runners of all speeds. Afternoon tea afterwards followed by a trip to the Hop Garden.
- Sunday Wellington Marathon, half marathon, 10km and Kids Magic Mile, cancelled. All current entrants will be rolled over to the 2021 Wellington Marathon. Please see website for details.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from outside Freyberg Pool and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
The Karori Field of Dreams struck again with some blazing 5km times there last Saturday. Team Chan was out in force and two of it’s number ran big personal bests. Carla Dennehy ran 19:20 (PB) and Bill Wang 18:55 (PB). And Karori-ophile Grant McLean ran an astonishing ‘turn back the clock’ 15.59.
We had 44 people participate in yesterday’s 3 Peaks. Matthew Brett was second fastest around the three peaks in 1:42 for the roughly 22km hilly course.
Team NZ runs IAU 6H Virtual Global Solidarity Run
This weekend, Mel Aitken, Fiona Hayvice, Emma Bassett and Emily Solsberg are representing New Zealand in the IAU 6H Virtual Global Solidarity Run. Fiona, Emma and Emily plan to run The Great Harbour Way/Te Aranui o Pōneke. Starting at 7:45am from Burden’s Gate, Eastbourne. They’ll make their way towards Wellington city, passing YOYO Design by Kiwis (262 Thorndon Quay) at approx. 9:45am. From here, they’ll hug the water’s edge, around Miramar peninsula, reaching Moa Point at approx. 11:45am. Te Kopahou Visitor Centre will be their most western point (approx. 12:45pm), before they turn back for Shoreland Park, Island Bay. Their final stretch will be up The Parade to finish at the Club at 1:45pm/approx. 66km. Anyone is welcome to join them along the way (est. 5:15-5:30/km), and/or please cheer loudly as they pass by.
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 6 September
The extension of Alert Level 2 to 6 September means the Wellington XC Championships scheduled for that day are now unlikely to go ahead. However we await an official announcement from Athletics Wellington.
Wellington Cross Country Championship race details
Wellington Road Running Championships, 19 September
We have not received official details about the Wellington Road Running Championship yet. But host club Wainuiomata says the course, timetable and race information will probably be the same as last year.
Wellington Road Walking Championships, 19 September
The Race Walking Championships take pace an the Twin Lakes Access Road at Te Marua, Upper Hutt. There are championship A-Grade and non-championship B-Grade races.
Athletics Wellington race details, course map and entry form
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
The road trip to NZ Road Relays will take place 2-4 October 2020. We will stay in Palmerston North and race around Feilding.
Please fill out this registration form to let us know you plan to join us. The all-inclusive cost of the trip is $250. Because of COVID-19 we have not been able to get any grants this year, so the cost is higher than last year.
However, it is still very good value because of a large subsidy from club funds. It includes race entry, return transport from Wellington, good quality accommodation in Palmerston North on Friday and Saturday night, transport around the course on race day, and a buffet dinner on Saturday night.
Three relay tasks:
- Complete the registration form
- Pay $250 to the club 38-9005-0501833-00. Put NZRR and your name in the reference and particulars. If money is an issue please talk confidentially to your team captain or president Michael Wray. We might not be able to do anything, but we do want to know in case we can help.
- Check to make sure your teammates and friends have registered.
HEB Construction, the company building the water reservoir near our clubrooms, is due to commence it’s project soon. Light vehicles will be parking on the lower field during the week, and access will be along the lane.
Salisbury Terrace will be closed for 2 – 3 weeks from mid-September to allow for works on sewage pipes. So access to the clubhouse will be via the lane only.
The project is planned to take 3 years. For much of this period the playing fields will be closed, but access to Rolleston St, and the other tracks up the hill will be open.
Welcome to new members Alan O’Brien and Sam Cathro.
Our 2020 membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here