Congratulations because, as of this week, we now have more members than last year. Welcome to new members Jason Reid, Alan Bird and Joe Martin who helped us reach the still-climbing membership total of 259.
Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 1km at 10km pace, short rest, 500m at 5km pace. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Friday 12.00pm, Riverhead Backyard ReLaps Ultra, North Auckland. Fiona Hayvice and others are running a 6.7km lap every hour until there is only one person left. Intrigued: live updates, Facebook and Instagram.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Sunday 8.00am, Mukamuka Munter, Catchppool Creek Visitor Centre.
- Sunday 11.00am, Wellington Cross Country Championships, Harcourt Park, Upper Hutt.
Wellington Secondary Schools XC Champs
Amy Walker won the senior girls’ cross country championship last Wednesday and Nina Maurer was 10th. Jamie Barnes was 2nd in the senior boys’ race.
The Wellington Scottish W35 team comfortably won their grade. But they only just held off, by less than 8 seconds, a tough challenge from the Scottish senior women’s A team. Mel Stevens gave the W35s a big lead on the first lap but the seniors gradually whittled away the lead, thanks to juniors Amy Walker and Maeve O’Regan-Smith running two of the top ten times for senior women. The seniors team finished an impressive 3rd in their grade.
The Scottish Senior E and M35 E teams also had a close battle, with James Coventry holding out Nico Vessiot by 6 seconds on the last lap.
Scottish fielded 26 of the 84 teams that competed and also offered a large proportion of the sideline noise – especially the boisterously supportive W50 crew.
Whittakers Chocolate Walk
Ray Marten was 2nd closest man to his estimated time in the walk. But a big congratulations to Terri Grimmett, Daphne Jones and Sharon Wray who all ruined their winning chances by walking their two laps significantly faster than their estimates.
Boys and girls races
Eddie Jones was 3rd by in the U14 race, Tait Keller was 4th in the U16 race and a large crew of Leif Schaefer, Louis Macquet, Miller Buck, Spike Hayvice, Juliet Street, Callum Bentley and Juliet McKay all took part in the U10 race – making them the biggest club continent in the grade.
Wellington Cross Country Championships, 16 August
The Cross Country Championships are at Harcourt Park, Upper Hutt on Sunday 16 August. The course is very similar to last year’s NZ Cross Country course – a mixture of sports fields and rolling climbs on grass.
For the adults, the 5km race is at 11am and the 10km race is at 1.20pm. You can do either or both of these races – depending on your age grade one will be a championship distance and the other will be non-championship.
Wellington 3 Peaks 23 Aug
The next 3 Peaks run leaves from the Wellington Scottish Clubrooms and climbs Oku Street Reserve, Atuturk Memorial and Mount Crawford. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
The road trip to NZ Road Relays will take place 2-4 October 2020. We will stay in Palmerston North and race around Feilding.
Please fill out this registration form to let us know you plan to join us. The all-inclusive cost of the trip is $250. Because of COVID-19 we have not been able to get any grants this year, so the cost is higher than last year.
However, it is still very good value because of a large subsidy from club funds. It includes race entry, return transport from Wellington, good quality accommodation in Palmerston North on Friday and Saturday night, transport around the course on race day, and a buffet dinner on Saturday night.
Three relay tasks:
- Complete the registration form
- Pay $250 to the club 38-9005-0501833-00. Put NZRR and your name in the reference and particulars. If money is an issue please talk confidentially to your team captain or president Michael Wray. We might not be able to do anything, but we do want to know in case we can help.
- Check to make sure your teammates and friends have registered.
Our 2020 membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Volunteers needed to help with Wellington Cross Country Champs
Todd Stevens is looking for people to help on the day – please send him an email (email@example.com) if you can help with:
- Course set up from 9am
- Registration/results/medal presentations (at any time during the day)
- Course pack-down after the last race (perhaps pick up a few cones and flags as you are warming down!).
All help will be much appreciated!
Contact Todd Stevens
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here