Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is a complicated mixture of 1km reps and 500m reps. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 10.30am, Walkers Turkey Trot. Kilbirnie Wind Needle.
- Saturday 1.00pm Needle Relay (and J team at 12 noon), Kilbirnie Wind Needle. Contact Danielle and Ben to be in a team. If you’re already signed up you will get the details from your team captain who will contact you this week.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details..
Lots of club members turned out for the first Three Peaks event of the year. Thanks everyone for attending – we raised $650 for the Wellington City Mission. Ruby Muir was the fastest woman, followed by Emily Solsberg. Mathew Brett and Walter Somerville were the fastest Scottish males over all three peaks. Results
Gerard Gordon was 4th the 50-55 age group at the South Island Cross Country Champs. “Great fun running x/country again in undulating, soft underfoot conditions with 9 hurdles, with a bit of mud and rain thrown in the mix,” he says.
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Needle Relay, 25 July, Kilbirnie
The Needle Relay is the first inter-club event of the year. It replaces the old Bays Relay. It will feature teams of five, with each runner running a leg of 3km or 5km, starting and finishing at the Kilbirnie Wind Needle. If you are keen to be in a team contact your captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon.
If you are already in a team you will hear from your team captain this week to coordinate logistics including who runs what lap.
More details about the needle relay including maps and course descriptions
There will be limited parking at the WindNeedle so turn up early and expect to walk from your carpark to the venue. Or, alternatively, catch a bu..
A registration tent will be set up with some storage. WHAC clubrooms will alos be open from late morning and for refreshments post run. If the weather is awful, prizegiving will be at the clubrooms. Waitoa Social Club in Hataitai is expecting people from the relay around 4-5pm.
Phil Proctor has kindly offered free massage post run so he will he set up at the start finish line.
University Relay, 8 August, Mackays Crossing
The University Relays are organised by Victoria University Athletic Club and take place at Queen Elizabeth Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki.
The course covers undulating, sandy farmland and bush. For adults each lap is roughly 3.7km.
The afternoon includes the following events:
- The Whittaker’s Chocolate Walk – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km. Walkers must estimate their time with the winners being the walkers who are closest to their estimated time. Prizes for first female and first male.
- The boys and girls races – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- The Victoria University Relay – 8 grades with 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km lap
If you are keen to be in a team contact your captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon.
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We’ll leave from the CBD and return to a pub afterwards.
Buy a bus ticket from our online shop
Wellington 3 Peaks Series, 23 Aug and 20 Sept
The 3 Peaks is an iconic series of three winter events open to anyone who want to experience varied running/walking trails covering nine Wellington peaks. This year the series kicks off on Sunday 19 July. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
- More details about the 3 Peaks Series
- Wellington 3 Peaks Facebook Page for updates on each event
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
Road Relays are on Saturday 3 October this year. And they are back at Feilding.
The club normally organises accomodation for 2 and 3 October, transport to and from Feilding, a van for each team, team entries and a dinner in the evening to come together and celebrate a great weekend.
To help us plan the weekend we want to know of who might be coming. So please help us by answering this short survey.
Track and field season
Athletics Wellington is changing the way that senior track and field meets are managed for next summer season. It is inviting clubs and individuals to organise and host special events throughout the summer.
Wellington Scottish Athletics has already offered to host a monthly series of mid-week twilight track meets. These will be a mixture of sprints and middle-distance races, probably starting around 6:15pm. The evening programme will be finished by 7:30pm. Photo-timing and formal results will be provided.
Scottish will also continue to host and organise the Agency Group 10000m Festival and the Night of Miles.
More details about the Athletics Wellington Track and Field season announcement
Be a pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon
Would you like to be a Pacer for the Wellington Half Marathon on 30 August? Scottish provides the pacers, and we know from past experience that competitors seek out the pacers and appreciate the help they provide. You get free entry and a shirt to run in. Pace slots are 1.25, 2.10, 2.15 ( the other times are now already covered).
Contact Todd Stevens
Represent Wellington at the national champs
Don Dalgliesh wants an expression of interest from anyone who would like to represent Wellington at the NZ Cross Country Champs (Dunedin, 29 August) or the NZ 10km Road Champs (Auckland, 7 November).
If you’re keen then fill out the expression of interest form.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here