Apologies that for the delay with this week’s newsletter – I was away on holiday.
Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is a pyramid session. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday 2.00pm club pack runs. From our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park off Salisbury Avenue, Mt Cook. Friendly training packs of different speeds.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
A big crew took on Lower Hutt Parkrun on Saturday, led by Grant McLean setting a M50s course record while running his fastest Parkrun in 6 years. Following him in were many others including Tom Saywer, Andrew Kerr, Stephen Bass and Ray Manahan, Don Stevens, and Lulu Harkness all with a new Parkrun PBs.
Welcome to new members Kirsty Burnett, Kristin Grice, Tom Hughson. Tanya Lavington and Jaspar Ortfeld.
You can join now
Wellington Scottish has reduced our subscription levels for the 2020-2021 season. This is because of the shortened season, because Athletics Wellington has reduced the levies it charges us, and because some of our members may be in challenging circumstances as a result of COVID-19.
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Last year it was $185. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Anyone who paid the Round The Bays special to join in February can get the excess amount they paid back, over the $85, by emailing Michael with your bank details to have the extra returned.
Needle Relay, 25 July, Kilbirnie
The Needle Relay is the first inter-club event of the year. It replaces the old Bays Relay. It will feature teams of five, with each runner running a leg of 3km or 5km, starting and finishing at the Kilbirnie Wind Needle. If you are keen to be in a team contact your captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon.
University Relay, 8 August, Mackays Crossing
The University Relays are organised by Victoria University Athletic Club and take place at Queen Elizabeth Park at Mackay’s Crossing in Paekakariki.
The course covers undulating, sandy farmland and bush. For adults each lap is roughly 3.7km.
The afternoon includes the following events:
- The Whittaker’s Chocolate Walk – open to walkers of all ages. Distance of approximately 6 km. Walkers must estimate their time with the winners being the walkers who are closest to their estimated time. Prizes for first female and first male.
- The boys and girls races – four scratch races for athletes under 16 years of age, and a fun run for the under 7s.
- The Victoria University Relay – 8 grades with 4 runners per team over an approx. 3.7 km lap
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We’ll leave from the CBD and return to a pub afterwards.
Wellington 3 Peaks Series, 19 July, 23 Aug and 20 Sept
The 3 Peaks is an iconic series of three winter events open to anyone who want to experience varied running/walking trails covering nine Wellington peaks. This year the series kicks off on Sunday 19 July. Test your navigational skills, race it or use it as a friendly Sunday pack run.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
Road Relays are on Saturday 3 October this year. And they are back at Feilding.
The club normally organises accomodation for 2 and 3 October, transport to and from Feilding, a van for each team, team entries and a dinner in the evening to come together and celebrate a great weekend.
To help us plan the weekend we want to know of who might be coming. So please help us by answering this short survey.
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray.
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.