Ngā mihi o Matariki. From this week, the days get longer again. And our season restarts with an actual race!
Options this week
- Tuesday 6.15pm, Speed session. Starts outside Freyberg Pool. This week is 1km reps at half marathon pace and 500m reps at 5km pace. Contact Andy or Rowan for details.
- Saturday 2.00pm, Centennial Cup Running Race and Tearle Trophy Walking Race, St Hilda’s Church Island Bay. Please bring a plate and celebrate the re-opening of the season, See below for details.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- All week – Athletics NZ Virtual 1km and 10km. See below for details.
- Congratulations to Todd Stevens on being awarded life membership of Athletics Wellington in recognition of his significant contribution to our sport.
- Terri Grimmett walked the Monaco Mid-Winter Marathon in Nelson on Sunday. No results published yet but it is part of Terri’s build up to towards doing a 24 hour race in November where she hopes to become a centurion by walking 100 miles in the 24 hours.
- Bex Hutchinson finished as fastest female at the waterfront winter solstice race, and so defended her title from last year.
Welcome to new members Maeve O’Regan-Smith and Stuart Bain.
You can join now
Wellington Scottish has reduced our subscription levels for the 2020-2021 season. This is because of the shortened season, because Athletics Wellington has reduced the levies it charges us, and because some of our members may be in challenging circumstances as a result of COVID-19.
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Last year it was $185. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Anyone who paid the Round The Bays special to join in February can get the excess amount they paid back, over the $85, by emailing Michael with your bank details to have the extra returned.
Centennial Cup and Tearle Trophy Walking Race, 27 June
The first club race of the season will be the Centennial Cup.
The Centennial Cup is a flat 5km club race along south coast waterfront starting at Island Bay. It is the traditional opening race of the season. It is a sealed handicap event where our handicapper has estimated your time over 5km. Everyone starts together and the finishing times are adjusted by your handicap to determine your net time and the overall winner of the cup.
The walkers will also be holding the Tearle Trophy Walking Race from the same venue.
We meet beforehand at St Hilda’s Church, 311 The Parade, to store gear. Then we return afterwards for afternoon tea and cake. Please bring a plate of afternoon tea to share.
You get to to St Hilda’s Church on the No. 1 bus to Island Bay. Or find a ride with another club member on the club Facebook group.
Don Stevens has done some research and booked Brew’d, The Parade, Island Bay for us all for a post race analysis meeting.
Athletics NZ Virtual 10km and 1km Challenge, 1-30 June
Athletics NZ is hosting the National Virtual 10km and 1km Champs all through this month. Entry is free and you don’t need to be a member of a club to take part. You can log up to three 1km and or 10km runs during June. Each run earns a point for your club, in the participation-based Top Club Competition. The fastest times in your club contribute to the Fastest Club competition (combined times of 2 females and 2 males – all age groups combined).
Needle Relay, 25 July, Kilbirnie
The Needle Relay is the first inter-club event of the year. It replaces the old Bays Relay. It will feature teams of five with each runner running a leg of 4 or 5km each starting and finishing at the Kilbirnie Wind Needle. If you are keen to be in a team contact your captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 2-4 October
Road Relays are on Saturday 3 October this year. And they are back at Feilding.
The club normally organises accomodation for 2 and 3 October, transport to and from Feilding, a van for each team, team entries and a dinner in the evening to come together and celebrate a great weekend.
To help us plan the weekend we want to know of who might be coming. So please help us by answering this short survey.
Bus to University Relay
We have chartered a bus to and from the University Relays on 8 August. The cost is $12.50. We’ll leave from the CBD and return to a pub afterwards.