Options this week
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park speed workout – contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details. 8.00am warm-up for an 8.30am start. All speeds and interests welcome.
- Saturday 2.00pm Club Pack runs. From our clubhouse at Prince of Wales Park off Salisbury Avenue, Mt Cook. Friendly training packs of different speeds. The J Team for kids will be back, afternoon tea will be pack, and a visit afterwards to The Hop Garden will be back.
- Sunday long pack runs – usually these leave 8.30am from Freyberg and some alternative locations to take advantage of some of the great trail running options around Wellington. Contact our club captains Danielle and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- All week – Athletics NZ Virtual 1km and 10km (see below for details)
A big welcome to our new members Rupert Rouch, Andy Palmer, Rachel Barr and Lani Bartlett!
You can join now
Wellington Scottish has reduced our subscription levels for the 2020-2021 season. This is because of the shortened season, because Athletics Wellington has reduced the levies it charges us, and because some of our members may be in challenging circumstances as a result of COVID-19.
Our new membership price for adults is $85. Last year it was $185. Juniors pay between $20 and $65 depending on their age, and volunteers are free.
Anyone who paid the Round The Bays special to join in February can get the excess amount they paid back, over the $85, by emailing Michael with your bank details to have the extra returned.
First club packrun
We had our first club pack run last Saturday under Alert Level 2. Yay for running together again.
Athletics NZ Virtual Ekiden
The final results for last month’s National Ekiden Virtual Relay Champs are in – and we have two national champion teams as well as many other great marathon times!
Athletics NZ Virtual Ekiden Results
88 teams from around New Zealand completed the virtual marathon relay.
In the seniors New Wellington Order (2.28) pipped Scottish Senior A (2.29) for the bronze medal. After that the senior teams all rolled in in close proximity: Senior G ran 2.45, Senior C 2.50, Senior F 2.52, The D Team 2.55, Senior I 2.58, Senior H 2.59, Senior J 3.00, Senior N 3.09,
In the Masters 35-49 grade, our 35A team (2:32) won the national title. 35B ran 2.41. 35C and 35E were tied on 3.07.
In the 50-65 grade our 50A (2:47) finished second behind Lake City and our 50B team finished third in 2:54. 50D (3.42) and 50F (3.44) had a close tussle.
In the Masters 65+ grade our 65A (4:12) were first, followed by our 65B (4:14) in second.
Andew Wharton reports that Andrew Kerr and Tom Sawyer both ran sub-17 minutes for 5km at Karori Park on Saturday – a nearly 30 second PB for Andrew Kerr.
“Legit distance going right through to the cricket nets and dodging many walkers and kids on bikes during the run,” says Andrew Wharton.
Centennial Cup, 27 June
The first club race of the season will be the Centennial Cup.
This is a flat 5km club race along south coast waterfront starting at Island Bay. It is the traditional opening race of the season. It is a sealed handicap event where our handicapper has estimated your time over 5km. Everyone starts together and the finishing times are adjusted by your handicap to determine your net time and the overall winner of the Cup.
We meet beforehand at St Hilda’s Church, 311 The Parade, to store gear. Then we return afterwards for afternoon tea and cake.
Athletics Wellington Calendar
Athletics Wellington has announced its events for the revised 2020 calendar:
- 25 July – Needle Relay (Kilbirnie)
- 8 August – University Cross Country Relays (Mackays Crossing, Paekakariki)
- 16 August – Wellington Cross Country Champs (Harcourt Park, Upper Hutt)
- 30 August – Wellington Marathon (including the Wellington Half Champs)
- 19 September – Wellington Road Champs (Wainuiomata)
- 11 October – Wairarapa Country Marathon (including the Wellington Marathon Champs)
The Dorne Cup and the Pelorus events, as well as events for which dates have already passed, are all cancelled.
The full Scottish Calendar including Athletics Wellington events is on our website.
Tuesday speed sessions
Tuesday speed sessions with Andy Ford and Rowan Hooper will resume next week.
Athletics NZ Virtual 10km and 1km Challenge, 1-30 June
Athletics NZ is hosting the National Virtual 10km and 1km Champs all through this month. Entry is free and you don’t need to be a member of a club to take part. You can log up to three 1km and or 10km runs during June. Each run earns a point for your club, in the participation-based Top Club Competition. The fastest times in your club contribute to the Fastest Club competition (combined times of 2 females and 2 males – all age groups combined).
Athletics NZ Virtual 1km and 10km
Keep in touch with the club
- If you want to contact anyone about anything then your first ports of call are our club captains club captains Ben Twyman and Danielle Trewoon, our coaching coordinators Jaime and Nico Vessiot and our club president Michael Wray.
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here.