Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool – contact Andy and Rowan for info, or check Facebook.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park workout – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 2.00pm, Trinity Club shared club run with WHAC and Olympic. Scottish Clubrooms, Mt Cook. Please bring a plate.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Bill Wang won the Tanadees Cup and Michelle Knight won the Arkwright Cup in perfect running conditions at Evans Bay on Saturday. Several other club members made a last-ditch bid for selection to a relay team and, no doubt, captains and second guessers will be analysing the results carefully. Results, Sharon’s photos.
- Mel Aitken won the Tauranga Marathon in 2:56.44. Results
- Ben Twyman (35.27), Bert Prendergast (35.33), Andrew Wharton (35.50), Chris Wharam (35.56) and Michelle Knight (54.18) all ran the WHAC Honest Ten on Sunday. Results
Shared club run, 28 September, Mt Cook Clubhouse, 2pm
- Wellington Scottish is hosting WHAC and Olympic for the final ‘Trinity Club’ shared club run of the year. Please bring a plate of food to share. It will be just one week before NZRR, so this is the ‘smack talk’ club run, where we get a chance to remind WHAC and Olympic who is the current official top club in NZ. Please let me know if you can help organise on the day or lead a friendly pack on an adventure.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 4-6 October
- Planning is well underway for our invasion of Fielding. We have a team of over 120 people going. You can find information about the relay including maps and lap descriptions on the Feilding Moa website. Amanda has put together these great guides to Feilding and Palmerston North. Captains are selecting teams. If you have not heard what team you are in by Tuesday please contact your captain. I have sent out the “all you need to know” info booklet Last week. Let me know if you did not get it. If you have not paid for the trip please contact Marshall for an invoice. If you have any questions or comments talk to me or your team captains Lindsay and Ben.
Wairarapa Country Marathon, Half Marathon & Teams Relay 5km & 10km Fun Run/walk, 13 October
- The Wairarapa Country Half Marathon, in Masterton, serves as the Wellington Half Marathon Championships for 2019.
Baudinet Cup – Bernie Portenski Memorial, 26 October, 2pm
- The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a 9.4km handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. While Bernie was a staunch Scottish member, she trained with and supported many members from other clubs. The overall winner on handicap will hold the Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy for a year. Scottish members also compete on handicap for the Baudinet Cup and Ladies Open Handicap Cup. We assemble at St Timothy’s Presbyterian Church, 16 Te Pene Ave, Titahi Bay from about 1:30pm.
- Post-race we return to the church hall for an afternoon tea and prize-giving. The race starts at 2:05pm on the beach in front of the surf club at Titahi Bay.
The Agency Group 10000m Festival, 9 November
- The Agency Group 10000m is most popular 10,000m festival in New Zealand. Last year the Agency Group 10000m was a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades. Entries open and free here.
- Fiona (Fi) Hayvice has been selected to represent New Zealand at the 2019 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 24 Hour World Championships in Southern France (26/27 October). She is 100% committed to and motivated by the challenge of running as many kilometres as she can in 24 hours. Relying on 100% self-funding, Fi has organised Help Fi Fly: Fundraiser Movie at 3:15pm on Sunday 13 October (Penthouse Cinema, Brooklyn). Ride Like a Girl is the inspirational true story of Michelle Payne, the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup. Before this advanced screening a raffle will be drawn (cash sales prior) and hear Fi’s take on Never Give Up. Tickets are $25 via firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring family and friends as this will be an inspiring outing for all. Additionally, donations can be made at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/help-fi-fly-nz-flag-at-2019-24hr-world-champs
- Athletics Wellington has just published a summer season calendar and an events matrix for the Newtown Park track and field meets. Our club members Andy Ford and Marshall Clark are on the working group that prepared the programme, and Marshall is the Convenor of the Track and Field Committee for this season. Track races are great opportunities to test your fitness, and we are fortunate to have access to a good all-weather facility close to town. Our club has the largest adult membership of any club affiliated to Athletics Wellington, and so Andy and Marshall are keen to get a good level of support from our members over the summer season. The club pays a bulk levy on your behalf so that you can have free entry to all the locally organised club meets (apart from the Centre Championships where there is a small charge per event). Please support this year’s track and field programme. The T&F season opening day is Saturday 12 October – the weekend after the Road Relays. More details will be available soon.
- Our full events calendar is available as a document that you can either read online or download. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.