Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool – contact Andy and Rowan for info, or check Facebook.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park workout – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 2.00pm, Tanadees and Arkwright Cups. Meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool in time to drop off gear and get to the Wind Needle for a 2pm start.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Sensational results for Scottish women at the NZ Road champs yesterday. Mel Stevens (18.18), Mel Aitken (18.22) and Lindsay Barwick (18.39) went 1,2, 3 in the W40 grade – and helped the Wellington team win gold. Later, in the senior women’s race, Jess Kikstra (38.41) took the bronze medal with Mel Aitken (38.54) just behind her in fourth place, and again helping Wellington to win the team title. Good results for the men too: Harry McLean 14th U20 (28.06), Seamus Kane 8th senior (32.18), Niam Macdonald 9th SM (32.20), Harry Burnard 17th SM (33.55), Paul Barwick 4th M40 (34.49), Ben Winder 6th M40 (35.15), Andrew Kerr 6th M45 (36.09), Grant McLean 2nd M50 (36.54), Michael Wray 3rd M50 (37.15), Bill Twiss 8th M50 (39.25), Peter Stevens 1st M55 (35.26), and James Turner 7th M55 (38.38) – Results, Photos from Sharon; masters women, masters men, M20, senior men and senior women
- From Chan: Congrats to Emily Solsberg who took the women’s win at the Lake2Lake Trail Marathon in Vancouver today in 3:36, and closer to home, Sam Ellison’s marathon debut at Sydney Marathon in 3:03.
Tanadees Cup, Kilbirnie Pool, 21 September, 2pm
- The Tanadees Cup is an 8km handicapped race around the Evans Bay/Balaena Bay waterfront. Men compete on handicap for the Tanadees Cup and women for the Arkwright Cup. Victoria University Athletics Club members join us for this race to compete for their Sherwood Cup. We meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool then the race starts from the Wind Needle in Kilbirnie. It is a good opportunity for a flat road race to sharpen up before the New Zealand Road Relays. If anyone is not running and is able to help please let me know – I could do with 1-2 more volunteers.
Shared club run, 28 September, Mt Cook Clubhouse, 2pm
- Wellington Scottish is hosting WHAC and Olympic for the final ‘Trinity Club’ shared club run of the year. Please bring a plate of food to share. It will be just one week before NZRR, so this is the ‘smack talk’ club run, where we get a chance to remind WHAC and Olympic who is the current official top club in NZ.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 4-6 October
- Planning is well underway for our invasion of Fielding. We have a team of over 120 people going. You can find information about the relay including maps and lap descriptions on the Feilding Moa website. Amanda has put together these great guides to Feilding and Palmerston North. Captains are selecting teams. I have sent out the “all you need to know” info booklet earlier today. Let me know if you did not get it. If you have any questions or comments talk to me or your team captains Lindsay and Ben.
Bernie Portenski Memorial, 26 October, 2pm
- The Bernie Portenski Memorial Cup in Titahi Bay is a 9.4km handicapped race to celebrate the end of the harrier season and to commemorate Bernie Portenski. While Bernie was a staunch Scottish member, she trained with and supported many members from other clubs. The overall winner on handicap will hold the Bernie Portenski Memorial Trophy for a year. Scottish members also compete on handicap for the Baudinet Cup and Ladies Open Handicap Cup. We assemble at St Timothy’s Presbyterian Church, 16 Te Pene Ave, Titahi Bay from about 1:30pm.
- Post-race we return to the church hall for an afternoon tea and prize-giving. The race starts at 2:05pm on the beach in front of the surf club at Titahi Bay.
The Agency Group 10000m Festival, 9 November
- The Agency Group 10000m is most popular 10,000m festival in New Zealand. Last year the Agency Group 10000m was a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades. Entries open and free here.
- Athletics Wellington has just published a summer season calendar and an events matrix for the Newtown Park track and field meets. Our club members Andy Ford and Marshall Clark are on the working group that prepared the programme, and Marshall is the Convenor of the Track and Field Committee for this season. Track races are great opportunities to test your fitness, and we are fortunate to have access to a good all-weather facility close to town. Our club has the largest adult membership of any club affiliated to Athletics Wellington, and so Andy and Marshall are keen to get a good level of support from our members over the summer season. The club pays a bulk levy on your behalf so that you can have free entry to all the locally organised club meets (apart from the Centre Championships where there is a small charge per event). Please support this year’s track and field programme. The T&F season opening day is Saturday 12 October – the weekend after the Road Relays. More details will be available soon.
- Our full events calendar is available as a document that you can either read online or download. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.
Keep in touch with the club via:
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here