Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool – contact Andy and Rowan for info, or check Facebook.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park workout – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 2.00pm, club pack runs, Scottish Clubrooms, Mt Cook – contact Simon for details.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – contact Lindsay and Ben for info, or check Facebook for details.
- Casey Thorby won the Kinloch Off-Road Half Marathon in Taupō in 1:33:02 and Jamie White was 9th in 1:44:05 – Results
- Triathlon Dean Galt was 1st in the 45-49 age group at the Sunshine Coast 70.3 (half ironman) and Paul Rodway was 16th in the M70s at the 70.3 world champs in Nice, France!
- Our first Ekiden at Cannons Creek attracted ten relay teams. The winning team was James Turner, Marshall Clark and Kate Slater – Results and photos
Tanadees Cup, Kilbirnie Pool, 21 September, 2pm
- The Tanadees Cup is an 8km handicapped race around the Evans Bay/Balaena Bay waterfront. We meet beforehand at the Kilbirnie Pool then the race starts from the Wind Needle in Kilbirnie. It is a good opportunity for a flat road race to sharpen up before the New Zealand Road Relays.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 4-6 October
- Planning is well underway for our invasion of Feilding. We have a team of over 120 people going. You can find information about the relay, including maps and lap descriptions, on the Feilding Moa website. Amanda has put together these great guides to Feilding and Palmerston North. Captains are selecting teams. I will send out the “all you need to know” info booklet in the next couple of days. If you have any questions or comments talk to me or your team captains Lindsay and Ben.
The Agency Group 10000m Festival, 9 November
- The Agency Group 10000m is most popular 10,000m festival in New Zealand. Last year the Agency Group 10000m was a night of PBs for runners of all speeds – 40 percent of runners finished with a new best time. This year there will be running packs and pacers of many different speeds to drag you to your new PB. Races are open to men and women of all age grades. Entries open and free here.
- Athletics Wellington has just published a summer season calendar and an events matrix for the Newtown Park track and field meets. Our club members Andy Ford and Marshall Clark are on the working group that prepared the programme, and Marshall is the Convenor of the Track and Field Committee for this season. Track races are great opportunities to test your fitness, and we are fortunate to have access to a good all-weather facility close to town. Our club has the largest adult membership of any club affiliated to Athletics Wellington, and so Andy and Marshall are keen to get a good level of support from our members over the summer season. The club pays a bulk levy on your behalf so that you can have free entry to all the locally organised club meets (apart from the Centre Championships where there is a small charge per event). Please support this year’s track and field programme. The T&F season opening day is Saturday 12 October – the weekend after the Road Relays. More details will be available soon.
- Our On the Run rivalries issue continued last week with The WHAC-Scottish Rivalry podcast, Michele and Bernie: Sisters, Rivals, Friends by Michele Allison, and Rivalry – the legal super drug by me. Look out for our final article tomorrow on that most potent type of rivalry – sibling rivalry.
- Wellington City Council is upgrading reservoir pipelines near our clubrooms. This means significant traffic disruptions to streets surrounding the Scottish Clubrooms – including to Wright Street, Wallace Street, Hargraves Street and Hutchison Street. For any club events at the Clubrooms be aware that driving and parking may be difficult. For more details see this update from Wellington Water.
- WMC is organising a community running event in the Polhill Trails again on Sunday 20 October. Here are the flyer and the Facebook event.
- Our full events calendar is available as a document that you can either read online or download. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.
Keep in touch with the club via:
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here